Blender 2.80 Officially Released With Its Revamped UI, Eevee PBR Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    Is there a reason for it not to be called blender 3? It's arguably one of the biggest updates in its history.
    omg this. who gave them this much money.

I'm an attempt of a programmer, now I am paying a Udemy course to learn Blender from scratch. 2.80 is just a joyful experience after trying to do the same on 2.79 months ago.
    Last edited by JeansenVaars; 30 July 2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Yes, let's name our new tech after a Pokemon. Nintendo *never* goes after *anyone* for using their trademarks.

IMBECILES.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
        Yes, let's name our new tech after a Pokemon. Nintendo *never* goes after *anyone* for using their trademarks.

IMBECILES.
        E.E.V.E.E. was never meant to infringe trademarks. It's an acronym of Extra Easy Virtual Environment Engine. It's a pseudo-PBR render engine that uses rasterization instead of the classic brute force raytracing, but in a way that's familiar for those used to the classic path tracing engines out there, but with the advantages of the speed and instant visualization. It's not mean to replace more complete and accurate raytracing methods but does a good job as an aproximation. Of course artists are using it as a final render engine, due to it's speed.

Comment

Originally posted by uid 313
          The UI is a bit too customizable too, like you can put anything anywhere, its just gets weird and confusing.
          I defend my stance on customizability and flexibility!

Non-customizability: Tailored to the developer, user must adapt!

Customizability: Tailored to everyone, user can adapt the UI to his needs!

A "Lock" button would be a good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by stargeizer View Post

E.E.V.E.E. was never meant to infringe trademarks. It's an acronym of Extra Easy Virtual Environment Engine.
            "Extra easy"? Clearly shows they really made something up to have the "Eevee" acronym.

Although in my opinion I feel that Eevee is just another name...

Comment

I look forward to playing with it. I am glad they have not gone all out with the "blender cloud" and monetisation.

"Blender 2.80 is an API breaking release. Add-ons and scripts will need to be updated, both to handle the new features and adapt to changes that make the API more consistent and reliable."

Ugh, lets be honest, when has any change involving Python *not* been breaking

A lot of scripts do some really naff things, like going to window #2, assuming that is the texture Window (because it is in the default layout) and extracting the current texture for the mesh group there. I am pretty sure the new interface change is going to break this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I hope the new UI is easier to use. Blender 2.79 does have a rather confusing UI that's easy to mess up, then I have to restore it to the default UI because I accidentally messed it up somehow. The UI is a bit too customizable too, like you can put anything anywhere, its just gets weird and confusing.
                You should give Blender 2.49 or older a go and then you'll really appreciate how much work has been done on the UI over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

You should give Blender 2.49 or older a go and then you'll really appreciate how much work has been done on the UI over the years.
                  Yes, I know. I've used that old version too. Then Blender got an UI improvement, that I think made it better at utilizing the horizontal width of the screen by having side bars. So yeah the UI has already improved and it was worse before. So it has progressed and is now less awful than it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    Why no v3 ? They have no marketing needs, and now my question: why everyone need so much version number jumps to feel good ?
                    Major version increments do not only have to be marketing related.
                    One possible reason for v3: Semantic versioning
                    I guess no one cares about meaningful semantic versioning anymore. It's a bit of a trend; some projects release a new major version every 2 months and some projects keep releasing minor versions no matter how much has changed. As a proponent of semantic versioning I'm a little bit disappointed, but what can you do ?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

"Extra easy"? Clearly shows they really made something up to have the "Eevee" acronym.

Although in my opinion I feel that Eevee is just another name...
                      Yup. Extra easy. No knowledge of OpenGL shaders or Video Card Shader language required. Heck, not even big node setups required to use, just use one node most most cases and be done with materials and shadows, even basic subsurface scattering. Even a basic Global Illumination setup is possible with EEVEE in realtime and using OpenGL technologies (like UT4 engine or unity) whitout knowing a line of Cg or shader language or scripting required. Just apply the same knowledge you got from all other render engines and you're done.

Can't be more easy than that. Unless you want presets, but i think there's market for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X