No announcement yet.

Valve Funded Development Of Xrdesktop - Lets GNOME & KDE Work In VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While this is cool for floating windows, and trying to force the traditional desktop metaphor into VR, I'd love to see people try to design something just for VR, and maybe ideas of how to map tiling into this sort of environment. I'd love to be able to add virtual monitors to my setup just as easily as I can manage tags in dwm.

Comment

Log term wise not to be locked in a Microsoft or Apple walled garden i guess. I believe they are slowly trying to build an alternative ecosystem safer for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
        Log term wise not to be locked in a Microsoft or Apple walled garden i guess. I believe they are slowly trying to build an alternative ecosystem safer for them.
        That has to be very dangerous and a real thing to invest so much money in Linux gaming.
        But it does not seems to me that any competitor (epic, microsoft), can be a worry for them.
        (sorry for my english)

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

That has to be very dangerous and a real thing to invest so much money in Linux gaming.
          But it does not seems to me that any competitor (epic, microsoft), can be a worry for them.
          (sorry for my english)
          The only reason they aren't so worried, is because Linux gets strong backing like this.
          Last edited by shmerl; 30 July 2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

(sorry for my english)
            When the competitor controls your platform, it's very very dangerous. All your eggs are in one basket. That basket is for sale, and not that expensive.

Comment

This is really nice, something that I could use to code while I'm lying on the bed...

Comment

Considering what Valve makes annually, their Linux effort cost peanuts to them. Considering all the recent dangers from the competition, they want backup plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
                  That's what I figure as well. Their biggest mistake seems to have been making SteamOS as a games platform too early. Granted, that can be considerd a chicken and egg situation -- Why would others make Linux games or work on Linux gaming technology if there isn't a major player that appears to be seriously invested in it for the long term?

Comment

I keep asking myself WHY.
                    As others said - probably "to be sure".
                    But i'd like to believe there is a small chance that they actually do it because they care. At least being a private company without shareholders they have to brown-nose, they very well would have the possibility to act that way ^^

Comment

If Valve were to move towards a gaming system product or compete with the likes of Stadia perhaps with a cloud service, perhaps one of the big reasons is costs saved by avoiding licenses? Avoiding any lock-in or terms that may be involved to base your product off Windows would seem like a pretty good incentive. They're already getting into hardware, initially with partnerships, and as of late their own controllers and VR headsets.

They might end up selling some console like device with optional network services like Stadia competitor, or some hybrid of the sort with the physical hardware. It might be pushed with a Netflix type of subscription approach for their gaming catalogue at a low price. Or they might even be considering taking advantage of Android platforms as that becomes more viable in the future(there is some efforts with WINE on ARM which could be supported by Valve once Linux is a satisfactory state), or they might just push wireless streaming to tablet/laptop/TV, and you use connected(perhaps wireless too if latency weren't an issue) input devices(keyboard/mouse/controllers). It could be a hub type of device in that case, potentially serving up games or other content to more than one device at a time?

Lot of reasons/options to invest in Linux. Meanwhile Microsoft is pushing it's own xbox game pass or whatever, which afaik spans both their console and desktop OS for trying to establish their own slice of the market.

Comment

Working...
                      X