X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Like Mir, Unity and Upstart
    Canonical develop Mir, Unity and Upstart:

- whaaaa whaaaaaaa, fragmentation, incompatibility, whaaa!

Canonical switches to Wayland, Gnome and systemd:

- whaaaaaa waahaaaaaa they abandoned their projects, I want "choice", whaaaa Pottering conspiracy!!!
    Last edited by jacob; 28 July 2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Ah, line-breaking logic. Mind-bending stuff. I remember tackling this in PDF::ReportWriter. It was a freaking nightmare. The low-level lib I was using ( PDF::API2 ) doesn't really give you a definitive width for a given text string/font/font-size. I had to make multiple passes ... first to figure out how much width my string needed, and then if necessary, further passes where I added arbitrary line-breaks ( in a method similar to seeking a bad commit when using "git bisect" ) until I finally had things arranged in such a way that all my text would fit in a given cell. PDF::ReportWriter uses a call-based layout engine, by the way. I remember cursing and thumping the desk quite a bit while working on this rabbit hole. I'm not particularly proud of the code. But it works! Anyway, hats off to people who can make this work in all cases. Try it and see ...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Guest you and debianxfce are amateurs.

https://ftp.gnome.org/conspiracy/
        Am I even trying?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          This is wonderful news! But I wonder if this will have any effect on LibreOffice?
          Nope..

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Canonical develop Mir, Unity and Upstart:

- whaaaa whaaaaaaa, fragmentation, incompatibility, whaaa!

Canonical switches to Wayland, Gnome and systemd:

- whaaaaaa waahaaaaaa they abandoned their projects, I want "choice", whaaaa Pottering conspiracy!!!
            Canonical only switches to those projects because they realize they don't have the resources to maintain them, the same will happen to Snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Canonical only switches to those projects because they realize they don't have the resources to maintain them, the same will happen to Snap.
              Seeing that between Snap, Flatpak and Appimage, Snap is the only one that has been actually embraced by numerous third parties, I very much doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                Seeing that between Snap, Flatpak and Appimage, Snap is the only one that has been actually embraced by numerous third parties, I very much doubt it.
                Repackaging apps for companies (that didn't really care about Linux anyway) on their behalf and putting an Official tag on it, which then gets outdated for 6 months seems very much it being embraced.

The actual Linux community has rejected the spyware known as Snap. Even the Ubuntu derivatives are choosing not to ship with it, I wouldn't be surprised if Linux Mint eventually moves to Debian.
                Last edited by Britoid; 29 July 2019, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
                  Broke my bitmap font I've used for years "profont".
                  Yep, apparently they dropped freetype support which broke bitmap font support...
                  Good thing I have abandoned most software using pango. This is ridiculous.

Comment

I'm happy to see the move to harfbuzz, and I have no use for bitmap fonts. But a lot of things moved into internal headers, and changed, so that (unmaintained!) pygtk2 FTBFS. AFAICS, that only really affects gimp (--disable-python lets it build, but obviously anyone using python2 plugins will not enjoy that).

Comment

Working...
                    X