Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.17 Making It Simple To Display A Network's QR Code For Easy Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I just keep /home on a separate partition and reuse that when I upgrade or change distros. You should try it, it's amazing how well it preserves your settings. And it's all mainly about ~/.config folder.
    I rsync my home directory to a remote server for backup, and restore from backup when upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I rsync my home directory to a remote server for backup, and restore from backup when upgrading.
      It seems overkill just to leave /home untouched, but it does give you a backup in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It seems overkill just to leave /home untouched, but it does give you a backup in the process.
        Yeah, the backup came first, this was just also a second use of it. Note this works too when replacing the harddrive.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

This is generic but covers most desktop users using standard file systems like EXT4, XFS, etc.
          1. 20gb to /, swap if necessary, EFI if necessary, and the rest to /home.
          2. An 8GB swap if memory is 8GB or less or 1:1 with ram amount if hibernation is necessary
          3. Bump up the / size by 8 to 16 GB if you have 8GB or less ram and can't fully utilize /tmp on ram
          4. If you plan to have two OS's on a single disk, install Windows first. Windows tends to FUBAR Linux installs.
          ZFS & BTRFS users should just ignore this and use one partition per drive separated into individual datasets and then utilize backup and restore strategies (with an extra /boot drive for ZFS users). You just don't use ZFS or BTRFS and go "welp, I'm gonna use one partition for everything" because that defeats the purpose of an advanced feature file system. ZFS can utilize special settings just for torrents, databases, and more to increase performance and make errors less likely.

These days the Windows Logic uses multiple partitions. Usually "boot" and "C" with "EFI" if necessary. The "one OS, one partition" rule is starting to become outdated advice with the exceptions of BTRFS & ZFS.
          This makes sense only if you use one os, but I dual-boot.
          I want:
          1 partition for Windows
          1 partition for Linux
          1 partition (NTFS) for Data (common files and folders that I wan to access from both operating systems

3 partitions for my use case seems acceptable for me, but more than that just makes a mess when I edit the partitions and need to remember which partitions are for which operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

This makes sense only if you use one os, but I dual-boot.
            I want:
            1 partition for Windows
            1 partition for Linux
            1 partition (NTFS) for Data (common files and folders that I wan to access from both operating systems

3 partitions for my use case seems acceptable for me, but more than that just makes a mess when I edit the partitions and need to remember which partitions are for which operating system.
            With modern computers -- not gonna happen.
            efi + OS + OS + DATA = 4 partitions at a minimum.

(With legacy computers -- not gonna happen.
            boot+boot+OS+OS+Data = 5 partitions at a minimum)

up to +2 more if you need bootloader partitions (mandatory for legacy).

Another up to +2 more if you use swap (1 for a shared swap created upon boot; 2 for 1 swap per OS).

That makes it 4 to 8 partitions for your particular use case regardless of how new or old your system is. It is what it is.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 04 November 2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X