No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 3.33.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried the recent beta with Wayland? Is the mouse cursor free of stutter now?

Btw: I use Plasma on a slow Gemini Lake SoC, works like a charm with Compton as compositor and with ~360MB of RAM consumption after logging in (including GvFS & Dropbox). Don't make yourself a fool by claiming Plasma would not be usable on slow systems...

Comment

Ok Mez,

you didn't get that pressing the menu power button a little longer or pressing ALT changes the button. That's well hidden, i agree. I have never seen the clock chopping any window title on my screen, but that might be my fault: I just never look there, I don't know why I should.

Where I really disagree:

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      I only miss wobbly windows now. I know there's an experimental extension but it is not functional. And no, wobbly windows are not a gadget, it just feels much smoother and more natural than rigid window dragging.
      I played around with that in compiz times, i was a fun effect, but I never looked back when it was gone. I don't want my brain to focus on any wobbling, and I don't think thats more natural. Ever moved something like a pen across your desk? Does it wobble? Windows ain't no water. And if it's more natural: why didn't any graphical environment (Windows, OSX, KDE, Gnome, Android, IOS, XFCE...) that up? I think you're rather alone with your point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Leet we forget the Suckless project. Probably so called because it sucks, and does less.
        I guess you haven't used dwm.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
          Gnome is the biggest shit stain for open source. How can something be made by so many people sharing the same wrong, shitty ideas? At least KDE is a real, functional desktop that performs well. It has nearly all gnome's features...as options. It's the best.
          Last time I used KDE (some Plasma 5 version), it didn't have a built-in onscreen keyboard, no auto-rotation or brightness adjustment, or anything really useful for a tablet. Iirc right before I gave up with it, an update came with an onscreen keyboard for SDDM, but nothing else (so you could log-in with an OSK, but after logging in, you either have no OSK, or need a 3rd-party one).

KDE was also weird when it came to HiDPI scaling. On Xorg, if I used the AMDGPU DDX driver, half of UI elements would scale, and others wouldn't. If I used modesetting, everything seemingly scaled fine.

On GNOME, my only real issue with it is with how the cursor is handled in Wayland (no idea how anyone uses it with a software-accelerated laggy cursor). I don't use extensions (outside of distro-defaults on Fedora) or custom themes nor really need them. GNOME works fine for me.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Not anywhere near how Unity was.

I currently use:

(snip)
          The only thing on that list I see useful is Gsconnect, but considering I wear a watch that already lets me receive notifications and send messages, I can't say it matters to me any more.

Everything else mentioned I get-by fine with defaults, and haven't felt any need to seek an extension to change that.

Originally posted by flower View Post

Only if you don't need apps which rely on a tray. I need nextcloud client and KeePassxc. So it is unusable for me
          I use KeePassXC heavily on GNOME; didn't know it had a tray, and can't say I ever needed it to have one.
          Last edited by Guest; 21 July 2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            IMHO: KDE is dog ass slow and bloated.
            Bloated, that's up for discussion. But slow? Ages ago, with KDE 4 and early KDE 5 builds, but not anymore. Your precious macOS is slower now.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

What problems KDE have? I don't know any, so you should name them.
              The main problem I have with KDE is a champagne problem: not enough devs creating 3rd party applets/widgets and 3rd party KDE apps

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                Ok Mez,And if it's more natural: why didn't any graphical environment (Windows, OSX, KDE, Gnome, Android, IOS, XFCE...) that up? I think you're rather alone with your point of view.
                Actually, you made one tiny mistake: unlike the other environments you mentioned, KDE includes the Wobbly Windows effect by default (not enabled though, but it's part of the KDE core effects for a reason and you can enable it with one click in system settings).
                Last edited by Vistaus; 21 July 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Actually, you made one tiny mistake: unlike the other environments you mentioned, KDE includes the Wobbly Windows effect by default (not enabled though, but it's part of the KDE core effects for a reason and you can enable it with one click in system settings).
                  Ok, I'll put KDE down from my list and will never mention it again in this regard. But you might be able to spot the main problem with KDE: It's so bloated and unsorted, that you only find any configurations options by luck. Gnome, being uncluttered, is one of the main reasons why I really like it and keep using it. The Gnome devs did a pretty well job by issuing their HIG Guidelines and related rulesets. It didn't work out instantly, but it worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I guess you haven't used dwm.
                    I'm not interested in using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      IMHO: KDE is dog ass slow and bloated.
                      Really? It's less bloated than Gnome (I mean memory usage, because when comes to options there's sometimes too much of them) and it's faster. So how would you describe Gnome?

Ps. The most bloated and slowest c*ap I've ever seen is mac os. Windows 7 comes next.
                      Last edited by Wojcian; 22 July 2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X