No announcement yet.

KDE's kstart5 Now Works On Wayland, No More HiDPI Screen Flickering At Start-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's kstart5 Now Works On Wayland, No More HiDPI Screen Flickering At Start-Up

Phoronix: KDE's kstart5 Now Works On Wayland, No More HiDPI Screen Flickering At Start-Up

There is less than two months to go until KDE's annual Akademy conference, which this year is being hosted in Milan, Italy. But even with summer activities, KDE development remains quite busy. KDE developer Nate Graham has written another one of his weekly blog posts highlighting the interesting development work going into this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE?, what is KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
      KDE?, what is KDE?
      It's the community behind the KDE Plasma Desktop Environment. Check out kde.org.

Comment

Nice to see KDE Wayland support coming along. I personally use Gnome, but having more KDE users using Wayland will help a lot in fixing bugs, in applications as well as compositors.

There's also a proposal to switching on the QT Wayland backend on Gnome by default for Fedora 31 1. I really hope it will work out, as there're many awesome QT apps out there, but if they use the X11 backend they look so blurry in combination with fractional scaling and flatpak sandboxing doesn't really work out. For example, I use keepassxc as password manager and I really don't want any other apps to peek into it, especially less trusted/proprietary apps from flatpak. But as long as it uses the X11 backend I can't really do anything about it (well, of course force the Wayland backend manually).

1: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...fault_On_Gnome
        Last edited by treba; 14 July 2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

My screen stays dark when I switch to PLASMA WAYLAND... Yours?
          Last edited by Azrael5; 14 July 2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

ngraham Where exactly is the kdesrc-build bug tracker located? I didn't see an "issues" section on github. Figured here was as good of place as any to ask...

For the past two days I've been trying to get it to build on my Manjaro box, never getting past QT, and had to update the QT version to 5.12 in qt5-build-include. Currently on -- Building kxmlgui from frameworks (31/363)

I think the issue is GCC 9.1.0 not liking the 5.11 branch. It's a 55 line error log so I don't want to post it here.

I first set it to the 5.13 branch, but that left me with this error in qmake.log:

Code:
            # kdesrc-build running: 'qmake' '/home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5/qt.pro'
            # from directory: /home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5
            Info: creating stash file /home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5/.qmake.stash
            Info: creating super cache file /home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5/.qmake.super
            Info: creating cache file /home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5/.qmake.cache

Selecting Qt Edition.

Type 'c' if you want to use the Commercial Edition.
            Type 'o' if you want to use the Open Source Edition.

Which edition of Qt do you want to use?
            /home/fluffycat/kde/build/Qt5/qtbase/configure.pri:91: Unexpected EOF.

Running configuration tests...
            Project ERROR: Declaring dependency for undefined test type 'verifySpec'.

Comment

Looks like no one is working on this?

It's been more than half a year since last activity.

Also, are there any plans to implement drawing tablets support in KWin Wayland session (Wacom)?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Also, are there any plans to implement drawing tablets support in KWin Wayland session (Wacom)?
                That's why I wasn't exactly sure where to post bugs at.

There's also https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdesrc-build/issues for posting bugs and one of the comments in the bugs.kde.org for kdesrc-build mentions that the invent one is the preferred one now. I currently have two with Manjaro: its gcc 9.1.0 needs qt5 5.12 as the minimum and neither the script, their instructions, or, and this is on Manjaro, their meta for package for KDE development, includes the package
                Code:
                ruby-test-unit
                which was required for Dolphin to build.

Now on plasma-desktop from kf5-workspace-modules (13/205) after running --help and finding --resume-from= .

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  My screen stays dark when I switch to PLASMA WAYLAND... Yours?
                  Well I got it working with all my machines so far, but I'm using Arch Linux, so can't speak for outdated packages. The only system that doesn't work at the moment is my Ryzen 3 2200G, it worked with I believe an older Mesa, but stopped some months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

The sad thing is that this issue is known since almost forever and we are just in the collecting ideas phase ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X