KDE Frameworks 5.60 Released With Many Changes & Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, the view change will only effect new installs of Plasma and it will not change what you already have set up.

While I don't like that change either, I do understand it from their perspective -- most dumbass end-users don't need access to it . When they do, they're usually following some copy/paste guide in a terminal . For people like us, it's as simple as typing "/" into the toolbar and dragging the icon next to it over to Places .

That said, dragging that icon over to Places gets it labeled as "(I18N_EMPTY_MESSAGE)" instead of "Root" or "/" and we then have to change the label in the right click menu .
    Well, I like to install Plasma updates or update the distro to newer version from time to time and this will affect me.
    And I like KDE Plasma because it has good defaults so I don't have to work for hours to find all the configurations and tweak it as I want it.
    Having the "Root" location on the panel by default is one of them.
    And the most dumbass end-users already have the first three locations (Desktop, Downloads, Documents) and Root comes at the end since it's probably used by fewer people and less often and I think that this is ok.
    But not having the "Root" there at all by default I don't think it's ok.
    I was glad a few months ago that they've added a dedicated icon for it that makes sense visually and now I learn that they want to remove it altogether.
    I know that I can type "/" in the location field to go to the same place but why should I be forced to do so.
    Every time a visual interface force the user to type is clearly a sign of bad design.
    Even Windows, which is the most user friendly (dumbed-down) OS of them all the the "Root" location on the panel called "My Compute" or something similar where you get to the root of the filesystem.

They are. There is no misunderstanding here.
    Then this is very sad and a huge mistake in my opinion.
    It's enough that Plasma forces me to type from time to time when I copy some files from one location to another because it cannot handle sudo like Cinnamon, but this is too much.
    Hopefully they will understand that we are not all dumb users that don't even need to see the "Root" location and they will revert this.
    I have never seen a file manager before on Windows / Linux or Android that doesn't have the "Root" location by default show and I really don't want to see this.

Comment

And the Up button.

Sometimes when doing system maintenance and working on personal projects I'll type out the directory where I need to go, which isn't always the root of the project if I need to edit a config file, and then I'll click back (out of habit) and go to my $HOME directory instead of up a level.

At least it's as simple as Right Click>Configure Toolbar to add both of those.

It'll also only effect new installs. It won't change your existing setup.
      I also like to add Up and Reload to the bar on Dolphin, they should be default. To hell with the Gnome hipster minimalist layout, we need things to be practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        that was a lot to quote
        The ultimate problem here is that there is no real way to make everyone happy. Catering towards people who just aren't as technically versed as us means that they'll make choices that we might not agree with like this. Root isn't something the average user needs to be exposed to unless it's necessary nor is it an option that enterprise setups would like to have either since that user probably won't have sudo or root access.

Every Plasma install I remove the desktop icon from Places and set change it from folder icons to the location bar, tweak various effects in KWin, combine parts of Oxygen and Breeze-Dark to get the look I like, setup and theme Yakuake as well as make duplicate profiles for Konsole and Yakuake and make them as 1:1 as possible, set my wallpaper to the astronomy picture of the day, and more.

I'm not complaining or whining that I have to do that with every install. It is what it is. "Setting it up" is only something I've done on every install of every OS ever. They go with sane, safe defaults and then I configure it to my liking. Having to add a Root location in addition to removing Desktop and adding my ZFS drives isn't that big of a deal to me. It's an exta 10 second step during a process I have to do anyways.

Comment

[Places panel] Don't show Root by default
          The problem with showing only the Subject line of a commit is, it shows only half of the picture.
          • The "Root" entry is functionally duplicated by the respective drive in the "Devices" section of the Places panel (the one with a "/" on it)
          • Though the red color of the folder icon made it distinct, it was a bad metaphor, as "red" typically means "error"
          • It scares less tech-savvy people, who do not use it and don't know how to get rid of it
          • It can be trivially added back by tech-savvy people who want it
          • The filesystem root is also reachable by "Home" -> <up>, <up>, also using the keyboard: <ALT-Cursor up>

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Even Windows, which is the most user friendly (dumbed-down) OS of them all the the "Root" location on the panel called "My Compute" or something similar where you get to the root of the filesystem.
            Lol no? "My computer" or just "Computer" or "This PC" shows a list of available drives/partitions and network folders.

On Windows, if you want to go to the "root" of a drive you need to click on its entry in the drive list, which works the same also in Plasma's "Devices" list.

The "root" never ever existed on Windows.

It's enough that Plasma forces me to type from time to time when I copy some files from one location to another because it cannot handle sudo like Cinnamon, but this is too much.
            This was fixed by our hero ngraham (turned into a warning) back in May 2018 https://phabricator.kde.org/R318:621...8650cd6f38f809
            Afaik it won't run with sudo because it's a more modern GUI application, but it will run fine with kdesudo (which is the KDE equivalent of gtksu, which should also work) and opens a GUI prompt for a password and is designed to keep GUI applications happy.

So I'm not sure what the problem is about that. I'm sure it's on your side though.

Hopefully they will understand that we are not all dumb users that don't even need to see the "Root" location and they will revert this.
            I have never seen a file manager before on Windows / Linux or Android that doesn't have the "Root" location by default show and I really don't want to see this.
            Seriously wtf are you seeing?
            No Windows nor Android file managers show root folder by default (also because on Android the "root" is a huge clusterfuck of a mess of folders mounted all over the place and mostly read-only).
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 07-15-2019, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X