Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 68 Released With JavaScript BigInt Support, Good WebRender Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Still too slow on Linux, even with WebRender. On this:

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests with ghosting test, 30fps vs 60fps vs 120hz vs 144hz vs 240hz, PWM test, motion blur test, judder test, benchmarks, and more.

After clicking the expand button in the upper-right area of the test, I get 165FPS on a 165Hz monitor at 2560x1440 resolution on Windows 10. On Linux, even with WebRender, it struggles around 115FPS.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The method is to set focus protection to "Extreme", but it also introduces a problem with new windows (e.g. the New incognito window option).
    Yeah I feel like there's something at the core broken.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    It's also a broader Linux desktop issue, to this day I don't know how to tell KDE5/Plasma to not pop an app window in front of me if since clicking on its launcher I clicked on something else thereafter. LibreOffice and other slow starter apps will keep stealing your current app's focus making you stop using the desktop until it fully loads. The focus options in Plasma 5 don't help because they fix this issue but introduce other focus related issues. One of the few areas where Window$ is better to me.
    And Alt-Tab in Plasma switches between windows in a strange way sometimes selecting other windows for unknown reasons. Again never had this on Window$.
    The method is to set focus protection to "Extreme", but it also introduces a problem with new windows (e.g. the New incognito window option).

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    When opening Chromium, it pops up in front of my face, which means if I am typing something it would interrupt me, maybe even accidentally typing it on Chromium, which can make me feel embarrassed.
    It's also a broader Linux desktop issue, to this day I don't know how to tell KDE5/Plasma to not pop an app window in front of me if since clicking on its launcher I clicked on something else thereafter. LibreOffice and other slow starter apps will keep stealing your current app's focus making you stop using the desktop until it fully loads. The focus options in Plasma 5 don't help because they fix this issue but introduce other focus related issues. One of the few areas where Window$ is better to me.
    And Alt-Tab in Plasma switches between windows in a strange way sometimes selecting other windows for unknown reasons. Again never had this on Window$.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Firefox is great! I love it, and I am really pleased with it!

Some things which it could have support for though:
    • The <dialog> element.
    • The 'system-ui' CSS font-family.
    • Debugging of WebSockets in developer tools.
    • Debugging of Server-Sent Events (SSE) in developer tools.
    • Inserting emoji on Linux.
    • Input element support for the types datetime-local, week and month.
    • A erase button on input type="search" fields.
    • A reveal password button on input type="password" fields.
    Feature comparison of Firefox and Chrome. https://caniuse.com/#compare=firefox+68,chrome+75

Firefox feels very fast to me and I think it performs great, but when looking at benchmarks it is impressive how much faster Chrome is.
    I don't know how many times you've asked for dialog, system-ui and datetime-local, week and month. Now it's my turn:
    Proper touchpad two-finger scrolling/swiping support. It feels like scrolling with a mouse wheel at this moment.
    max-content and min-content support without Moz extensions https://caniuse.com/#search=max-content.
    When opening a _blank link or opening a link on a new window, please, come on, tell me where I am going. In Chromium when doing this the address bar is filled with the link contents, but in Firefox, it's empty, or sometimes even "about:blank". What the heck? What if I am going to a malicious website? Does this mean I have to wait until I get attacked to run away? With Chromium I can run away even before the page has loaded, but here, no. You have to wait.

I use Chromium and after removing the Google stuff it's great! Although I do have a single complaint:
    When opening Chromium, it pops up in front of my face, which means if I am typing something it would interrupt me, maybe even accidentally typing it on Chromium, which can make me feel embarrassed.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Is this what you are talking about?

Just putting a reference from anytone interested.

Also, for video decoding: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210727
    Exaclty, thanks for adding it here. Michael : this could be an interesting thing to benchmark, whether Firefox on Wayland with DMABUF support enabled (it's currently disabled by default) matches Chrome's performance in WebGL now. Im not sure if the implementation is already complete though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

Semantics? In JS. Pff. As if binary + has any sane semantics now. I'd argue that throwing is a better option.
    It would make sense if were consistent. Binary + is possibly the worst aspect of the language. It shouldn't allow to concatenate Strings, yet it does.

I'd love to see a more strict mode for the language that tries to fix it, and is incompatible with old language. This would allow to easily fix these mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• EarthMind
    replied
    The developer tools have received a well needed update. That's good

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

Semantics? In JS. Pff. As if binary + has any sane semantics now. I'd argue that throwing is a better option.
    This. Using JavaScript and Semantics in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    I didn't notice any difference, awesome release..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X