Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 68 Released With JavaScript BigInt Support, Good WebRender Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 68 Released With JavaScript BigInt Support, Good WebRender Linux Performance

Phoronix: Firefox 68 Released With JavaScript BigInt Support, Good WebRender Linux Performance

Mozilla rolled out Firefox 68.0 as the newest version of their web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: I'm not fond of the BigInt proposal, and I think this sort of functionality belongs in libraries rather than in the base language. One of the best things about JavaScript is that it effectively has a single numeric type that makes certain kind of errors impossible. There's also the problem that the binary + operator can throw now, when one of the arguments is a BigInt, and the other isn't. This completely ruins the semantics of the language.

Comment

The foundation is looking at a subscription model for a "premium"ad-free Firefox:

https://www.techspot.com/news/80839-...refox-499.html

Comment

@M@GOid no, they’re looking into working with several large blogs and news sites to provide a single $5/month subscription to all of them to receive those blogs and news sites ad free. That way, you can support them without being bombarded.

and that’s literally what the article you linked says. Did you read it at all?

the only ads in Firefox are sponsored pocket stories that you can already turn off in settings.

Comment

do they still have that crap about profiles?

Comment

Firefox is great! I love it, and I am really pleased with it!

Some things which it could have support for though:
            • The <dialog> element.
            • The 'system-ui' CSS font-family.
            • Debugging of WebSockets in developer tools.
            • Debugging of Server-Sent Events (SSE) in developer tools.
            • Inserting emoji on Linux.
            • Input element support for the types datetime-local, week and month.
            • A erase button on input type="search" fields.
            • A reveal password button on input type="password" fields.
            Feature comparison of Firefox and Chrome. https://caniuse.com/#compare=firefox+68,chrome+75

Firefox feels very fast to me and I think it performs great, but when looking at benchmarks it is impressive how much faster Chrome is.

Comment

I always applaud a new ESR (Extended Support Release) release .

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: I'm not fond of the BigInt proposal, and I think this sort of functionality belongs in libraries rather than in the base language. One of the best things about JavaScript is that it effectively has a single numeric type that makes certain kind of errors impossible. There's also the problem that the binary + operator can throw now, when one of the arguments is a BigInt, and the other isn't. This completely ruins the semantics of the language.
                Semantics? In JS. Pff. As if binary + has any sane semantics now. I'd argue that throwing is a better option.

Comment

Wow few comments yet. Seriously, firefox, especially on linux, currently has such great momentum! Webrender is coming along greatly, soon finally enabling handware accelerated rendering by default. Then there's all the Wayland work...most importantly (for me personally) the latest addidtion of DMABUF support (ff 69/70 thought), which brings performance of webgl to the level of other OSs and chrome AND should bring hardware video acceleration into stone throw distance...so this is a great release (and the next ones will be even more awesome). Can't wait for thunderbird 68, too.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    Wow few comments yet. Seriously, firefox, especially on linux, currently has such great momentum! Webrender is coming along greatly, soon finally enabling handware accelerated rendering by default. Then there's all the Wayland work...most importantly (for me personally) the latest addidtion of DMABUF support (ff 69/70 thought), which brings performance of webgl to the level of other OSs and chrome AND should bring hardware video acceleration into stone throw distance...so this is a great release (and the next ones will be even more awesome). Can't wait for thunderbird 68, too.
                    It's exciting. Just wait 7 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X