Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE: Konsole Improves Its Tiled Split Mode, Global Shortcuts Can Turn Off Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE: Konsole Improves Its Tiled Split Mode, Global Shortcuts Can Turn Off Screens

Phoronix: KDE: Konsole Improves Its Tiled Split Mode, Global Shortcuts Can Turn Off Screens

It wasn't a particularly busy week in the KDE development space due to being in the middle of summer and also the US Independence Day landing at the end of the week. But there still were some achievements made in KDE development over the past week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if Konsole and Yakuake could be merged, 'cause I like where Konsole is headed and that there's more development than on Yakuake, but I don't want to give up the dropdown feature. I think merging the two could be good for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      It would be nice if Konsole and Yakuake could be merged, 'cause I like where Konsole is headed and that there's more development than on Yakuake, but I don't want to give up the dropdown feature. I think merging the two could be good for both of them.
      Are you a wizard or a mind-reader? That's exactly what I came to post.

Drop-down is so integral and convenient to my workflow that I will not give that up.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Drop-down is so integral and convenient to my workflow that I will not give that up.
        I agree! I would love to see Yakuake-QuakeConsole features get added to Konsole. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Comment

well, Konsole is an embeddable part, and Yakuake uses the Konsole KPart...

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

well, Konsole is an embeddable part, and Yakuake uses the Konsole KPart...
            I'm aware of that, Kate and other KDE applications do the same thing.

We mean like how you can start the XFCE terminal with --drop-down and it'll be in drop-down mode instead of the usual window.

Something like Settings > Configure Konsole > General > Konsole Window > Enable Drop Down Mode to make Konsole become Yakuake and I don't have to make sure Konsole and Yakuake use the same settings, themes, profiles, etc. For times when the system or programs need to spawn a Konsole window they could spawn a new tab; programs like Kate that use the embedded Konsole could maybe have an option to use a new tab over embedded as a way to save screen real estate.

Comment

Also +1 for drop-down Konsole native setting. I use Yakuake, and before when I was using MATE I used another drop-down terminal too.

Instant l33t haxx0r showoff by pressing a button.

Comment

I'm aware of that, Kate and other KDE applications do the same thing.

We mean like how you can start the XFCE terminal with --drop-down and it'll be in drop-down mode instead of the usual window.

Something like Settings > Configure Konsole > General > Konsole Window > Enable Drop Down Mode to make Konsole become Yakuake and I don't have to make sure Konsole and Yakuake use the same settings, themes, profiles, etc. For times when the system or programs need to spawn a Konsole window they could spawn a new tab; programs like Kate that use the embedded Konsole could maybe have an option to use a new tab over embedded as a way to save screen real estate.
                I meant that you might just be getting some shiny new tiling functionality for free with the new konsole update within you existing app.

Comment

So I was talking to the Yakuake maintainer (@sho_) about this recently and brought it up. He told me that in principle he didn't think it was a problem but that there were a few issues that would need to be resolved first:

1. Konsole doesn't use its own KPart (the embeddable Konsole piece that shows up in Yakuake, Dolphin, and Kate). It should be refactored to use its own KPart before a major consumer of it stops existing, or else that's less testing for the KPart itself.
                  2. Yakuake has a complex visual theming system that Konsole lacks. Adding this into Konsole would be possible, but it's a bit of a niche feature that he suspects most people don't use and that maybe isn't really appropriate for Konsole itself. The discussion turned into the idea that Konsole could gain the drop-down feature and Yakuake could live on as a sort of KPart-using Konsole variant that differs primarily by the theming feature (Please correct me if I mis-remembered any of that, @sho_).

Needless to say, if anyone wanted to work on any of the above, it would be mightily appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X