Xfce 4.14 "Pre2" Brings Bug Fixes, GLX Compositing Improvements & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.14 "Pre2" Brings Bug Fixes, GLX Compositing Improvements & More

Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 "Pre2" Brings Bug Fixes, GLX Compositing Improvements & More

The second preview release of the long-awaited Xfce 4.14 is now available for testing ahead of its official debut later this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any plans for wayland support?

Comment

Originally posted by commiethebeastie View Post
      Any plans for wayland support?
      Not yet, their priority for 4.14 was to migrate to GTK3.
      But maybe after 4.14 release they will consider moving to Wayland. As pointed out on Phoronix, someone started to write "xfway", a Wayland compositor inspired by Xfwm.

Comment

Wayland is not 100% usable for most users yet, it is slowly getting there but not priority, moving XFCE to GTK3+ is the first milestone to add Wayland support.

This is an area in which we need to be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
          Wayland is not 100% usable for most users yet, it is slowly getting there but not priority, moving XFCE to GTK3+ is the first milestone to add Wayland support.

This is an area in which we need to be patient.
          With "be patient" you mean "wait more 10 years".

Comment

It's either wait, contribute or leave. No other options available, as with most things in life.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
              It's either wait, contribute or leave. No other options available, as with most things in life.
              Well, you could also whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post

With "be patient" you mean "wait more 10 years".
                I bet this is because of IBM's conspiracies to make sure GNU/Linux will never take off on the desktop.

I'm trying to fill the debianxfce-shaped hole in this forum.

Comment

What about modernizing multi-decade old and dying desktop ?

I'd like to see global menu ON by default

I'd like to see a dock

I'd like to see better support for window snapping

I'd like to see a fully graphically-accelerated desktop

Comment

I would like to know if they solved the problem, that is now more than 10 years.. with GtkSourceView, not recognising TEXT files types by its 'MAGIC NUMBER'( '#!' ..Shebang in MousePad.. )
                    Its really annoying..
                    They say the problem is within GtkSourceView, I believe.
                    But when they open a file in mousepad, they can circumvent that miss-behaviour of GtkSourceView, by detect file type, and the open it like if the file had a extension, then GtkSourceView would apply the correct Color Scheme to that Language..

Even the Linux Kernel recognises text script based files, starting with its "MAGIC NUMBER" ( '#!' )

Comment

Working...
                    X