Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Attempt At Reducing GNOME's Mutter Input Latency

Phoronix: Another Attempt At Reducing GNOME's Mutter Input Latency

Prolific GNOME contributor Daniel Van Vugt of Canonical working to optimize the desktop stack for Ubuntu continues his great upstream-focused work on enhancing the performance of various key components. This past week he posted a new merge request that seeks to lower the input latency further for the Mutter compositor / window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you again, Daniel, great work !

My dumb user question : does this patch only affect windowed-apps or also fullscreen apps... (obviously I'm referring to games ;-) ?

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
      Thank you again, Daniel, great work !

My dumb user question : does this patch only affect windowed-apps or also fullscreen apps... (obviously I'm referring to games ;-) ?
      AFAIK full screen apps are indirected so the compositor doesn't compose them. So it should not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

AFAIK full screen apps are indirected so the compositor doesn't compose them. So it should not matter.
        If I get things right, this MR is mostly about Wayland (see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...68#note_530925), but could be wrong here. In that case, fullscreen games would be affected as they don't yet get unredirected there. Although there's ongoing work by Jonas Adahl to make it work under Wayland, which might even land for 3.34 (the concept is quite different, though. The term 'unredirect' doesn't really apply. And event delivery would still be handled by the compositor, so this MR would still apply there).

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

I would think given this MR is about input latency, compositor output latency is not really relevant.

Originally posted by treba View Post

If I get things right, this MR is mostly about Wayland (see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...68#note_530925), but could be wrong here. In that case, fullscreen games would be affected as they don't yet get unredirected there. Although there's ongoing work by Jonas Adahl to make it work under Wayland, which might even land for 3.34 (the concept is quite different, though. The term 'unredirect' doesn't really apply. And event delivery would still be handled by the compositor, so this MR would still apply there).
          Yeh. "Unredirection" doesn't really exist in the Wayland world in the same way. I think on Wayland it's more about the compositor getting as much out of the way as possible for full screen applications.
          Last edited by Britoid; 01 July 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Oh, Daniel, you get a chance in mainline...

Time to try to upstream my efforts on the KWin side!

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
              Applications don't get their input events from the window manager, so I'd say this doesn't affect applications at all (fullscreen or not.)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That'd be good! There was that other dev who had their own patch for rendering GTK apps with kwin frames or something too, but they weren't interested in trying to get it merged upstream into kwin

Last edited by polarathene; 01 July 2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Please do ! :-)

Comment

> Another performance patch got in. Yay.

Wow, patch description sounds simple but effective :-) That's surprising that wasn't the default behaviour !

Comment

Working...
                    X