Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ends Out June With More Bug Fixes & UI Refinements

Phoronix: KDE Ends Out June With More Bug Fixes & UI Refinements

KDE developer Nate Graham has posted another one of his usability/productivity summaries of the KDE improvements over the past week. There's been another busy week of work on KDE Plasma 5.17, KDE Applications 19.08, and KDE Frameworks 5.60...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice list. I always get a little giddy when I see these weekly reports.

I was going through all my audio files last week and that autoplay feature would have been really handy when I came across two of the same songs and needed to hear a few seconds to tell which sounded better so I knew which one to keep.

I'm worried about the Places Panel Root changes. I use ZoL and Dolphin does not handle ZFS well (or at all really). Click a ZFS drive in Plasma and it fails because it doesn't know how to mount ZFS drives. Another problem is it wants to mount already mounted ZFS drives when all it needs to do is send me to where it's mounted at. I keep my games and multimedia on a ZFS drive with a pool named dataP that mounts to /multimedia on boot and this is the error it gives me if I click that disk in Dolphin:

An error occurred while accessing 'dataP', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/myusername/dataP: unknown filesystem type 'zfs_member'
    I really do not want my root drive to act like that.

While I know that ZFS support isn't a priority for the KDE Devs, KDE/Dolphin needs basic mounting and status grepping for ZFS if the Root folder-based shortcut is going to be changed to a disk-based shortcut.

Comment

I always wonder when we read some news about the subsurface rendering issue bug on Wayland... But at least the crash when logging out of a plasma session should not happen anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Nice list. I always get a little giddy when I see these weekly reports.

I was going through all my audio files last week and that autoplay feature would have been really handy when I came across two of the same songs and needed to hear a few seconds to tell which sounded better so I knew which one to keep.

I'm worried about the Places Panel Root changes. I use ZoL and Dolphin does not handle ZFS well (or at all really). Click a ZFS drive in Plasma and it fails because it doesn't know how to mount ZFS drives. Another problem is it wants to mount already mounted ZFS drives when all it needs to do is send me to where it's mounted at. I keep my games and multimedia on a ZFS drive with a pool named dataP that mounts to /multimedia on boot and this is the error it gives me if I click that disk in Dolphin:

I really do not want my root drive to act like that.

While I know that ZFS support isn't a priority for the KDE Devs, KDE/Dolphin needs basic mounting and status grepping for ZFS if the Root folder-based shortcut is going to be changed to a disk-based shortcut.
        Sounds like you have some bugs to file so we can fix things.

Keep in mind that 1. nothing will change for existing installs 2. nothing has actually become inaccessible; you can still reach `/` any way you like and 3. for new installs you can just add your own Places panel entry for `/`.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Sounds like you have some bugs to file so we can fix things.

Keep in mind that 1. nothing will change for existing installs 2. nothing has actually become inaccessible; you can still reach `/` any way you like and 3. for new installs you can just add your own Places panel entry for `/`.
          I suppose Solid would be the appropriate place to file a bug report, right? From what I could tell that's where Dolphin gets its device information from.

I wasn't worried about 1 or 2, but 3 was where I was thinking there could be problems if users aren't using a traditional Linux setup since I know from personal experience that KDE doesn't play nicely with ZFS volumes (and, thinking out loud, was wondering if bcachefs, whole disk btrfs, and other odd setups might have issues with that change).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I suppose Solid would be the appropriate place to file a bug report, right? From what I could tell that's where Dolphin gets its device information from.
            Solid uses whatever is provided by udisks2, so you should verify ZoL is supported by udisks2. Your error message e.g. originates from udisks2 and is just forwarded by Solid.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Solid uses whatever is provided by udisks2, so you should verify ZoL is supported by udisks2. Your error message e.g. originates from udisks2 and is just forwarded by Solid.
              It looks like reporting it as a bug won't matter according to here since it's already a known issue and they're worried about the CDDL/GPL issues. That sucks.

What it's able to parse is the information provided by the zdevs like the label and block device since that's done in a universal manner but it doesn't actually know how to really handle ZFS volumes outside of that since they don't want to link to libzfs so they're debating between going with a shell solution to parse ZFS command line tool output (like what GRUB does with zpool) or by parsing ZFS's JSON output and using that to manipulate drives.

Based on this little snip of code,
              Code:
              # ZFS member partitions
              ENV{ID_PART_ENTRY_SCHEME}=="gpt", \
                ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="zfs_member", ENV{ID_PART_ENTRY_TYPE}=="6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631", \
              ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
              the only reason my drive is even being picked up by Dolphin is because it's old and uses an MBR partition scheme whereas Udisks2 filters out GPT based ZFS volumes. IMHO, the reasoning for that is utterly stupid -- because it's an extremely rare setup since most guides point the user to use GPT...seriously...

I suppose I could submit ="gpt|mbr", as a pull request to "fix" the annoyance of seeing a drive that Dolphin can't handle.

Well, that's that I suppose.

Comment

I tried it using Wayland under an AMD GPU. Still lacking a ton of features and functionality. In particular, fractional scaling. I don't dare try my NVIDIA card again. The last time I tried that, it didn't work. Looks like we still have a long way to go for Wayland support. Would be great if they could prioritize not only Wayland, but the removal of XWayland unless necessary. GNOME seems to have better Wayland support, but I'm not going back to that. Apparently X.org is now in maintenance mode, so maybe that will speed things up.

Comment

Working...
                X