No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation Issues 2018 Annual Report - Massive Increase In Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats why it's good that linux now have a standard desktop with gnome. its growing, its improving and it attracks people to create and spend time and money. Thanks gnome, linux and all the people involved!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Those programs are trivially sexist or discriminating (if you consider a literal meaning of those words), as they are aiming to correct a certain imbalance. Nevertheless, they are doing something good for society. And of curse for the project, as it attracts people, who otherwise would never contributing for various reasons.
      Correct a certain imbalance? That imbalance exists because these people are simply not imterested in coding...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Correct a certain imbalance? That imbalance exists because these people are simply not imterested in coding...
        That's why they are paying them I guess.

Comment

I think Outreachy spots a problem and I can't fault them for wanting to help, but imho it's going the wrong way about it.

The reason why white men dominate STEM area isn't because white men are somehow discriminating against everyone else and thus you need to discriminate against them to fix it, it's because of stupid society stigmas and education. If you want to fix it, go into schools, get rid of gender-specific toys, campaign for free education for all and help on fixing society.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            Thats why it's good that linux now have a standard desktop with gnome. its growing, its improving and it attracks people to create and spend time and money. Thanks gnome, linux and all the people involved!
            Oh no, did Griffin suddenly gather access to your machine?

Comment

Oh no, did Griffin suddenly gather access to your machine?
              And try to change the refresh rate to 144Hz?

Comment

Think of all the features they'll be able to remove thanks to this extra funding!

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  That sounds great! The gnome people do an immense job with little manpower. As for the outreach programs, I hope they succeed in making gnome and foss in general more accessible to people who are not white/east-asian guys.
                  Are you planning to replace their brains? It seems non white/east-asian guys and woman aren't good programmers.

Comment

Or not able to do so. I have nothing about other races, but I don't but 'everyone's equal bullshit'. I'd love to see black pianist playing Chopin on good level or white runner beating runners from Africa.
                    Last edited by Wojcian; 27 June 2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The thing why hetero carnivore males go into tech is that they get a job with decent salary, and with that decent job and salary they get married. There is no such incentive for females, hence females are not ready to go through hardship of becoming a tech pro.

Comment

Working...
                      X