GNOME Foundation Issues 2018 Annual Report - Massive Increase In Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

So in your opinion; can you explain in plain English what is what was preventing those ladies from becoming programmers?
    Nothing whatsoever I would imagine. But of course when you encourage people to devote all their energy to demented identity politics and play victimisation olympics, obviously they won't have much time left to get involved in something actually intelligent, learn, participate and contribute. But then again, it's often much easier to just sit and wait for someone else to "empower" you.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

Where were those outreach programmes when I was eating mold off the walls because I couldn't afford food and rent because the British simply do not hire Poles for anything more ambitious than cotton picking?
      Didn't you know? You are a Pole therefore you have White Privilege (tm) even if you couldn't afford food. Now if you were a Woman(tm), or LGBTQZXVJGJ, or "of color", then yes they would have been interested. They certainly wouldn't want you to get ahead in life either, mind you, because that would be treason and it would go against their narrative. Who knows, it may even give someone ideas. You still wouldn't be able to afford food, but you would be their poster child. For what it's worth.

Comment

I thought there was only two groups, the "group of people contributing", and the "group of people who do not contribute" wasn't aware of other groups.

So in your opinion; can you explain in plain English what is what was preventing those ladies from becoming programmers?

Is it that they had no interest on it? lack of knowledge?

And what is that the outreach programs did exactly to get them interested?

Those are serious questions.
        Hundred years ago women contributed little to daily politics, now they do a lot (at least in certain countries). I don't want to say that women and non-whites will necessary reach similar levels of contributions to foss software in the future because I can't know. Maybe they are less interested in general. But there are a lot of indicators suggesting that there are very talented people out there who would contribute if they got some extra help at the start. So I'd say lets try and see if it works. We can win a lot and lose much less (because there's more money than good programmers. Therefore too many bad programmers getting paid way too much, wasting money all over the place).

Comment

I just wish the GNOME people were given a reason to not keep making their software worse every year.
          The most inescapably terrible bit is the file chooser in GTK3, since it's built in to the library directly. I have to patch and compile every time I update libgtk-3.

Also, it's fascinating how many people are feeding the trolls in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Didn't you know? You are a Pole therefore you have White Privilege (tm) even if you couldn't afford food.
            What about being an immigrant?
            Originally posted by jacob View Post
            LGBTQZXVJGJ
            Why isn't W up there? W is for Windows users

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              Hundred years ago women contributed little to daily politics, now they do a lot (at least in certain countries). I don't want to say that women and non-whites will necessary reach similar levels of contributions to foss software in the future because I can't know. Maybe they are less interested in general. But there are a lot of indicators suggesting that there are very talented people out there who would contribute if they got some extra help at the start. So I'd say lets try and see if it works. We can win a lot and lose much less (because there's more money than good programmers. Therefore too many bad programmers getting paid way too much, wasting money all over the place).
              Treba hundreds of years ago, was hundreds of years ago. The French revolution was hundreds of years ago, the 100 year war was hundreds of years ago and the American civil war was also 158 years ago.

Answer my question please: Why did the ladies not have an interest in programming?, and what is what the programs did to get them interested?

What happened hundreds of years ago explains how the world was back then, which is not how the world is now, and the ladies we're talking about are alive now, not hundreds of years ago.

Comment

Treba hundreds of years ago, was hundreds of years ago. The French revolution was hundreds of years ago, the 100 year war was hundreds of years ago and the American civil war was also 158 years ago.

Answer my question please: Why did the ladies not have an interest in programming?, and what is what the programs did to get them interested?

What happened hundreds of years ago explains how the world was back then, which is not how the world is now, and the ladies we're talking about are alive now, not hundreds of years ago.
                Let's think of it as encouragement.

Some people don't need encouragement to jump into something new (I fit into this camp), other people do (I also fit into this camp!).

Think of all these programs (not just outreachy, but GSoC and X.orgs Endless summer) as programs to encourage people and train them up mainly on interacting with the FOSS community. Do you remember the last time you feel intimidated by something new? Isolated in a room full of people? if not, then congratulations! you do not have a terrible experience to draw on to understand how other people feel. If you do, then you will know how handy it is to have a helping hand to help you get through it!

Now with all that in mind, image that the playing field you are on is not level and you face an uphill battle (hint, its a hard game). You have 2 choices. Play this unfair game, or, not play at all and go somewhere else where things are easier for you.

Outreachy is for the people who look at the sausage fest that is FOSS and see it as an uphill battle.

Not everything is about you. Not every opportunity is about you. Stop being a greedy fucker and let others have a piece of the pie too!

Comment

I can't say for sure, but I think it's a group thing. I got into FOSS because I had a friend who introduced me to it. I guess most people somewhat do what their friends do, more or less. So for me it was always easy to find equally minded people with shared interest. Most women I know where pulled into other directions.
                  So I guess it's a chicken-egg problem there. And it could be all fine if these mechanisms would match the interests and skills of all people. But that's certainly not the case yet.

Comment

Outreachy ?

Sounds like something pervs do on the Underground (The Subway for septics)

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
                      What about being an immigrant?

Why isn't W up there? W is for Windows users
                      Or onanists.

Comment

Working...
                      X