No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell & Mutter See Their 3.33.3 Releases With Notable X11/Wayland Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter See Their 3.33.3 Releases With Notable X11/Wayland Changes

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter See Their 3.33.3 Releases With Notable X11/Wayland Changes

Arriving late, a few days after the GNOME 3.33.3 development snapshot, the Mutter and GNOME Shell updates are now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's rather amazing that gnome developers released 16 versions of gnome 3, 8 years of work, without having proper development tools such as profiling in place...

Comment

No internal profiling doesn't mean no profiling at all. It's surely nicer and mostly more comprehensive when you integrate that, but you're not without tools.

Does anybody know any news on performance patches?

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
        It's rather amazing that gnome developers released 16 versions of gnome 3, 8 years of work, without having proper development tools such as profiling in place...
        Naysayers would say that it shows...

Comment

This is cool. I would love to be able to install Wayland without XWayland and X.Org.
          I would love to be able to install GNOME without pulling in XWayland and X.org. Just pure GNOME on Wayland.

Comment

I just hope most of van Vugt's performance fixes will make it into 3.34..

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Naysayers would say that it shows...
              Considering that I haven't seen a machine powerful enough to handle basic GNOME animations, I'd say it's self-evident. I don't get why people would want animations in the first place, though.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This is cool. I would love to be able to install Wayland without XWayland and X.Org.
                I would love to be able to install GNOME without pulling in XWayland and X.org. Just pure GNOME on Wayland.
                I wonder what will you do with your X11-only apps (or any future ones).

Also, does it really annoy you this much to even have the X11 packages in your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I wonder what will you do with your X11-only apps (or any future ones).

Also, does it really annoy you this much to even have the X11 packages in your computer?
                  I don't have so many X11-only apps. The few that I do have are probably being ported, so soon they will be even less.

No, not so annoyed, but its nice to have a clean system, to have a modern system, and to be free from legacy cruft.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't have so many X11-only apps. The few that I do have are probably being ported, so soon they will be even less.

No, not so annoyed, but its nice to have a clean system, to have a modern system, and to be free from legacy cruft.
                    The whole X11 isn't "legacy cruft" yet. It'll be when Wayland becomes dominant, which sadly, at this point is not.

Comment

Working...
                    X