KDE Frameworks 5.60 Bringing More Baloo Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

A few milliseconds to find 100 files out of 4000 files is slow? My dear ...
    yes, it is! the alternative on windows, a free search utility, everything from voidtools, it`s the best search tool there is. Baloo is slow, buggy and makes the pc slow! Not acceptable!

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
      yes, it is! the alternative on windows, a free search utility, everything from voidtools, it`s the best search tool there is. Baloo is slow, buggy and makes the pc slow! Not acceptable!
      From the Everything FAQ:
      How long will it take to index my files?
      "Everything" only indexes file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build its database.
      The same is true when you disable "Content Indexing" for Baloo.

Does Everything search file contents?
      Yes, "Everything" can search file content with the content: search function.
      File content is not indexed, searching content is slow.
      Thanks, no ...

Comment

OMG! just gave baloo another chance, as i kept it disabled for being slow for the last few months . It quite ok now, fast and does not slow the laptop. Will start using it from now on!

Comment

Will it still write hundreds of megabytes to disk when creating any file?

Comment

Baloo is the first thing I kill and disable in ALL KDE Installations , is just a nightmare and slow downs the PC.

Comment

wolfyrion It definitely grinds quite a lot on a fresh install, so if you have a large $HOME and transfer it often into a new setup I can understand your point perfectly well. But if you are working with lots of valuable company documents (> 100,000 files) generated by different people over more than a decade, then content indexing is a must-have. The trick is to actually work on your system and not to permanently install your computer anew ;-) Once the initial indexing is done, you don't notice baloo any more.

I currently have to use Gnome and I really wish tracker would be as lightweight and crashproof as baloo btw.

Comment

fkoehler
                don't you usually keep those files on a server? you keep them all on a local computer?

Comment

I was tired of Baloo way of indexing... It passed by a lot of things that should be indexed to me, tried everything even doing a revision in .config/baloofilerc, PDFs and so ignored here and there, about 3 million files to only index 570024.

Balooctl check run horribly, it enslaves a core and take ages to index... System settings panel lacks almost everything... I ended deciding to build a personal indexing quick made python script to do balooctl index operations as balooctl itself lacks basic control ability.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    fkoehler
                    don't you usually keep those files on a server? you keep them all on a local computer?
                    Yes, small company and I sometimes work offline without network access, but still need full access to all files, even and sometimes especially the archived ones. The complete company folder is ~ 15 GB, which is small enough to be synched on an encrypted USB stick, but large enough to need indexing, if you don't know where a file is located or if there even is a file ;-)

The Windows 10 indexing is pretty fantastic, Baloo on Linux is pretty ok, and tracker on Gnome is better than nothing, but the worst of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
                      wolfyrionI currently have to use Gnome and I really wish tracker would be as lightweight and crashproof as baloo btw.
                      Tracker works just as you described with Baloo, so I assume you are finding a bug. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/tracker-miners/issues/

Comment

Working...
                      X