Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.60 Bringing More Baloo Optimizations

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.60 Bringing More Baloo Optimizations

Making KDE's Baloo file indexing/searching framework really efficient appears to be a never-ending task. Baloo is already much less bloated recently than it's been hungry for resources in the past and with KDE Frameworks 5.60 will be slightly more fit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and all i still want from Baloo is real time indexing with Dolphin, Windows is just better in this regard.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66 View Post
      and all i still want from Baloo is real time indexing with Dolphin, Windows is just better in this regard.
      Whats your problem exactly? Baloo does real time indexing ...

Comment

Baloo is still the thorn in my side since I switched to KDE.
        It would use huge amounts of memory and cpu for hours if you have many small files on the file system.
        Hope these optimizations helps with that ...

Comment

Afaik KDE and Qt are using KIO which I heard is pretty slow and buggy by design, so apparently this could be one of Baloo's bottlenecks.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post

Whats your problem exactly? Baloo does real time indexing ...
            Speed and responsiveness is lacking. This is especially true relative to the third party file indexer "Everything"

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Afaik KDE and Qt are using KIO which I heard is pretty slow and buggy by design, so apparently this could be one of Baloo's bottlenecks.
              Wrong. Baloo uses direct file system accesses.

Comment

Why does anyone even want a file indexer?
                i usually disable them as soon as i spot them and they are one of the reasons i prefer xfce (but looking more into budgie lately)

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

Speed and responsiveness is lacking. This is especially true relative to the third party file indexer "Everything"
                  A few milliseconds to find 100 files out of 4000 files is slow? My dear ...

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                    Why does anyone even want a file indexer?
                    i usually disable them as soon as i spot them and they are one of the reasons i prefer xfce (but looking more into budgie lately)
                    To quickly find files by name or content.
                    I usually keep content indexing disabled because it ls too slow. But searching by name is very useful, for example to find some old PDF which you don't really remember where it is. Especially useful with corporate Dropbox with shitton of documents.

Comment

Working...
                    X