Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 76 Beta Brings Dark Mode Media Query, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Chrome 76 Beta Brings Dark Mode Media Query, Other Improvements

Following last week's release of Chrome 75, Google today issued the first public beta for the Chrome 76 web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

various improvements to Progressive Web Apps

And it comes with their new ad campaign.

Comment

whatever the New Ad campaign is i don t care for it as i dont use Chrome rubbish as my default browser or a Chromium browser as Default. so far the Default is still Firefox. but given Mozilla are adding ugly shit to the Firefox Browser specially 69, it looks UGLY. thankfully there is a way to disable it http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...?f=7&t=3050909

Comment

How about MS Edge on Linux? Come on, you know you wanna...

Once considered something impossible, Microsoft Edge's availability for Linux is now in sight. According to the developer team behind it, Microsoft's browser is not ready for Linux yet, but there is no technical difficulty that can keep this piece of code away from the Unix-based open source operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          How about MS Edge on Linux? Come on, you know you wanna...

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micros....423940.0.html
          Yeah, hopefully Microsoft Edge comes to Linux, that would mean more choice for end-users!
          And you might want Edge instead of Chrome because it is built with Chrome technology so it is well optimized, but you don't get it from an advertising company.

Google is an advertising company. Are you sure you want a web browser from an advertising company?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, hopefully Microsoft Edge comes to Linux, that would mean more choice for end-users!
            And you might want Edge instead of Chrome because it is built with Chrome technology so it is well optimized, but you don't get it from an advertising company.

Google is an advertising company. Are you sure you want a web browser from an advertising company?
            Yeah, unfortunately, everybody is doing it. MS even had ads in W10 start menu... Mozilla on start page, Opera and the others must do it too.

I miss the time where it was viable to use small name browsers like Konqueror without too much hassle.

Comment

Will phoronix support dark mode via prefers-color-scheme? There are already dark mode css themes for phoronix.com on userstyles.org.
              Free website themes & skins created by the Stylish community on Userstyles.org

Comment

I hope dark mode media query won't be limited to macOS and Windows, and that Firefox will pick it up soon. I'd love to be able to just request dark mode, as I prefer doing that over adding bloated extensions.

As for PWAs, this is a good thing, as I see them as the future. I'd much rather use just my web browser for crappy applications over having to use electron. For most purposes people write "apps" these days, the browser is good enough, and PWAs don't need to be installed.

Comment

The point of a dark theme on web pages is not to match the dark theme of the desktop, it is to NOT GET FUCKING BLIND BECAUSE OF ALL THE WHITE.

Anyway this will go nowhere as 95% of the people don’t give a shit about dark themes, so most sites won’t implement this and those that do will probably have a "dark" theme with a #FFFFFF background and a dark bar somewhere on the side. Like most "dark" desktop themes.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Yeah, unfortunately, everybody is doing it. MS even had ads in W10 start menu... Mozilla on start page, Opera and the others must do it too.

I miss the time where it was viable to use small name browsers like Konqueror without too much hassle.
                    It is not viable to use Konqueror anymore? Why not?
                    GNOME also have its own browser called GNOME Web or Epiphany. It is built on WebKit2 over the WebKitGTK bindings.

Microsoft and Mozilla might display some ads, but Google is an ad company.

Comment

Working...
                    X