X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aht0
    replied
    Seems site is screwed up. I'll add that much:
    IF you want to have installers conveniently at hand, Mega cloud is offering 50GB free account. Non-tracking, encrypted. Put stuff you need immediately to installation media (start menu replacement, 3rd party browser's online installer or something else you need fast). Rest, keep it in secure cloud (Mega.nz for example) and download your software straight from there after you have your new install with basic stuff for getting online, set. More reasonable than feeding data to Microsoft.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Many reasons.
    • All software in the Windows Store gets automatically updated from within the Windows Store, so updates are easy, smooth and a breeze.
    • When you get a new device you just login with your Microsoft Account and you can download all software you had installed on your other system.
    • For developers they can charge money for the software in Windows Store.
    • Increased exposure, new users discover the software in the store.
    • I can update it manually too. Not that I perśonally care about newest version number. One does not make other void. Sitting without auto-updating apps is actually more fool proof because if new version happens to have some regression, I won't be affected. I even keep bunch of APK's on my Android phone's SD card and rather install straight from there than use Google Play store - where I have auto-updates turned off.
    • I tend to put that software on custom-made installation media, In Windows10 case, /Users/Public/Downloads folder. Regardless of future usernames, I would have installers pre-installed and few mouse clicks away. From there it's a matter of invoking built-in update (most software has ability for it, you know). But that's me.
    • I am not sure that pittance is worth the sheer effort they'd have to put into porting their apps to touch-sensitive unified Windows API's. I looked Krita's Windows Store page. It had whopping 108 ratings. How many millions/billions Win10 devices are out there by now? Even Facebook Messenger didn't have much, indicating pretty low Windows Store usage by Win10 users.
    • Look at previous sentence.
    One of the U.S.A's Founding Fathers is reputed to have said: When you give away your liberty in exchange of security, you are not worth neither liberty nor security. I'd replace word 'security' with 'convienience' as easily!

I just finished building custom stripped-down Win10 May 2019 Update installation media for my own use. Difference with stock install app-wise:

I also removed lots-and-lots of bloat under the hood.. Cortana, Telemetry, Telemetry for included Nvidia driver, Edge, IE, Store, XBox crap..
    It means after I've finished installing it replacing current temporary Win10, I no longer have to put up with crap like Candy Crush Soda Saga installing itself in my PC automagically, whether I want it or not (I sorely hate that crap).

Have fun living in your bloated 10, mine is going to be pretty close to Win7 in a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Many reasons.
    • All software in the Windows Store gets automatically updated from within the Windows Store, so updates are easy, smooth and a breeze.
    • Can be implemented without Windows Store.
      Also, what if you don't like an update? You can't roll back...

• When you get a new device you just login with your Microsoft Account and you can download all software you had installed on your other system.
    I don't want to be tracked by Microsoft.

They can do so without Windows Store.

• How many users use the Store in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    Why would you want Windows Store version when you can already install it on Windows using traditional downloadable installer?
    ​​​​​​Which, btw, unlike Windows Store bs, works also for people who keep using local system accounts and who don't like using cloud-tracked accounts. Who may even have ripped Windows Store completely out of their Win10 machines install images (it can be removed with DISM).
    Many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

OK, I see. Are you using an SSD?
    Yes, but it starts marginally slower than that on my 11 years old desktop computer with an HDD.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Your information is severely outdated. GIMP now does lazy loading of fonts and launches well below 10 seconds.
    OK, I see. Are you using an SSD?

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Why would you want Windows Store version when you can already install it on Windows using traditional downloadable installer?
    ​​​​​​Which, btw, unlike Windows Store bs, works also for people who keep using local system accounts and who don't like using cloud-tracked accounts. Who may even have ripped Windows Store completely out of their Win10 machines install images (it can be removed with DISM).

Leave a comment:

• randomizer
    replied
    Yeah, the font loading was always the slowest part on Windows. Not 5 minutes slow, but slow. It's definitely way better now. Querying plugins is still a bit time-consuming but typically only on a fresh install or (I think) after an update.

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied

GIMP takes like 5 minutes to launch under Windows...
    Your information is severely outdated. GIMP now does lazy loading of fonts and launches well below 10 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• GreenReaper
    replied
    GIMP takes like 5 minutes to launch under Windows...
    For a time that wasn't all that far off the truth. It got a lot better once it started to cache fonts (and plugins?), although it'll probably still do that the first time after an update.

I'm not concerned with the Windows Store. However, it is unfortunate - frustrating, even - that every time there is a release, it's not actually released for Windows because the build isn't done. That means people dropping by and not updating, as the new version will be out soon. Even if they use Linux, they might be reluctant to tell their Windows friends to try it out without it being the latest, greatest version. Then maybe they never get around to it. This probably doesn't help Windows adoption.

Usually a release waits until everything is ready for said release. That's what makes it a release.

At a guess, there's a bottleneck where one person (maybe a person with a certificate?) does the installer, because it's not on the building page. (As a corollary, there's probably nobody outside the project testing it on Windows prior to release, because an installer is only produced when you do a point release.)
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 14 June 2019, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Working...
    X