GIMP 2.10.12 Released With Some Useful Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    You could use the donations from said version to get a few people to work on the Windows version.
    Like I said, we don't have a plan for paid development. We are coming with a different background than Blender and Krita.

Personally, I would like to use our funds to get people to work on GIMP full-time. But it means there will have to be a full-time paid manager as well. We don't have one either.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Actually, I'm wondering how much time and effort it took to get Krita to work on UWP.
      Too much, if you ask Boudwijn

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Many people who use Linux also use Windows.
        Also hate Windows as much as you want, but GIMP is already available for Windows, so if it could be available in the Windows Store and that could lead to new users discovering it, and new revenue streams, then that would be great.
        GIMP takes like 5 minutes to launch under Windows...

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Who gives a shit, this is a Linux forum.
          Only you don't.

This is mainly a Linux forum, but we discuss other operating systems as well.

Comment

One thing I really miss in GIMP is easy access to a PNG alpha channel, specifically copy/paste the alpha channel between two images. I think it's at least 10 clicks and some drag operations to select things, saving/loading temporary files. I always seem to get lost along the way, forget how it works, or do things in the wrong order. Extremely cumbersome for such a simple operation.

In Corel PhotoPaint 7 (released 1999, which I still use almost daily) it is only 2 toolbar button clicks ('display alpha', 'copy')!

That said, even in Adobe PhotoShop it is (was?) many more than 2 clicks. Either way, working with transparent PNGs in PS or GIMP really suffers from poor workflow. Which is probably why I still use a 20 year old closed source product (though running nearly flawlessly on Wine - and fast and feature-complete!).

I like where GIMP is going, but it still has some catching up to do, especially on the UI/workflow front...unfortunately that's also the area where controversy arises, and people start having diverging opinions. Perhaps there's lessons to take from Blender, where they are finally making substantial improvements on the UI front, after many years of indecision.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

No it doesn't.
              I use GIMP on Windows 10 at work on a Intel Core i7 "Skylake", I think it is a 6700T.
              I don't know how long it takes to launch, but its definitely less than a minute. Probably between 10 to 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                One thing I really miss in GIMP is easy access to a PNG alpha channel, specifically copy/paste the alpha channel between two images.
                Copy Alpha Channel:
                1) On the Layers Toolbox: right click on your canvas layer.
                2) Select "Add Layer Mask" from the context menu.
                3) Choose "Layer's Alpha Channel" as the Initialization Source.
                4) Copy your image. [You are in "Edit Layer Mask" mode now, so it copy the mask data].

Transfer Alpha Channel [to a new image]:
                1) On the Layers Toolbox: right click on your canvas layer.
                2) Select "Add Layer Mask" from the context menu.
                3) Choose "White" as the Initialization Source.
                4) Paste [it will create a Floating Layer.].
                5) Click the "Anchor the Floating Layer" icon on the Layers Toolbox. [Which makes the Floating Layer the new Source for your mask. This will work with any image source, not just Masks copied using the prior instructions.]
                [Optional]
                6) On the Layers Toolbox: right click on your canvas layer.
                7) Select "Apply Layer Mask". [Will merge the Mask with the Alpha Channel; removing the Mask.]

Personally, I would stick to keeping the transparency data in Mask form for the rest of your workflow. Once you export your image as a PNG [or any format with Alpha support], GIMP will automatically apply the Mask for you.

Comment

Actually, even shorter:

If your source and destination are layers on the same image:
                  1) On the Layers Toolbox: hide the layer you want to apply the Alpha Channel to.
                  2) On the Channels Toolbox: right click on your Alpha Channel.
                  3) Select "Channel to Selection"
                  4) On the Layers Toolbox: right click on your hidden layer.
                  5) Select "Add Layer Mask" from the context menu.
                  6) Choose "Selection" as the Initialization Source.

Comment

For a time that wasn't all that far off the truth. It got a lot better once it started to cache fonts (and plugins?), although it'll probably still do that the first time after an update.

I'm not concerned with the Windows Store. However, it is unfortunate - frustrating, even - that every time there is a release, it's not actually released for Windows because the build isn't done. That means people dropping by and not updating, as the new version will be out soon. Even if they use Linux, they might be reluctant to tell their Windows friends to try it out without it being the latest, greatest version. Then maybe they never get around to it. This probably doesn't help Windows adoption.

Usually a release waits until everything is ready for said release. That's what makes it a release.

At a guess, there's a bottleneck where one person (maybe a person with a certificate?) does the installer, because it's not on the building page. (As a corollary, there's probably nobody outside the project testing it on Windows prior to release, because an installer is only produced when you do a point release.)
                    Last edited by GreenReaper; 14 June 2019, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Your information is severely outdated. GIMP now does lazy loading of fonts and launches well below 10 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X