Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE 1.1.12 Released With More 64-bit Work

Phoronix: WINE 1.1.12 Released With More 64-bit Work

As the first release in 2009, WINE 1.1.12 has been released with more 64-bit support. Using this latest unstable release of WINE should allow some simple 64-bit Windows applications to run on Linux and support 64-bit code generation in the IDL compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Using this latest unstable release of WINE should allow some simple 64-bit Windows applications to run on Linux and support 64-bit code generation in the IDL compiler.
    Note that this still needs a GCC installation from SVN, so we'll probably have to wait one or two distro release waves until this is usuable for end users*.
    Details for testing the progress on the 64 bit front can be read at http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64.

*Well, not that it would be useful for end users in its current state, but you know what I mean ;D

Comment

"support for sub-pixel font rendering."

very pleased to see that.

Comment

This may be a bit off topic, but interesting in light of this being the first release of 2009 and 2008 having been a rather significant year for Wine (with the release of 1.0 and such).

Anyone still using 0.9.53 from a year ago (11 Jan 2008) or an older version?

Comment

Blah. When can we have a 64bit wine that can run 32bit windows apps?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Blah. When can we have a 64bit wine that can run 32bit windows apps?
            That's being worked on within the 64 bit support, too.
            The work is going on at first making Wine compile (and behave) correctly as a 64 bit app and also making it run 64 bit windows apps. On top of that, the 64 bit Wine is still able to run 32 bit apps.

Comment

On top of that, the 64 bit Wine is still able to run 32 bit apps.
              Is it? The configure option in 1.1.11 stated that enabling win64 disables the 32-bit support..

Comment

Interesting, how could I see some visual manifestation of "support for sub-pixel font rendering"? Does it mean that I can somehow enable antialiased text rendering like with Cleartype enabled?

Comment

You need to explicitly enable subpixel rendering in the wine registry. I do not remember the setting off-hand - check the manual or search for "subpixel" in the wine bugzilla and check the last few posts (the guy that provided the patch explains how to enable it).

Comment

would love to see first compile support on 64bit machines. Wine is only app that I have to get lib32 libraries

Comment

Working...
                    X