Chrome 75 vs. Firefox 67 / 68 Beta Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torbido View Post
    I hate Firefox, because of that, and I use Vivaldi for desktop, and Brave for android.
    Why?

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
    Really I wonder who the heck invented TABS on TOP and has become a trend for all browsers!!!
    Opera iirc.

Originally posted by TruthPropeller View Post
    Gotta love the excuses Firefox users are willing to make to "defend" their choice. I'm using Chromium until Firefox steps up its game.
    Gotta love the excuses Chrome users are willing to make to "defend" their choice... Hehe, no Chromium (as Android) are nothing without Google, so you'll gobble up any $hit upstream Google puts it in....or extracts.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      And now, Mozilla is going full speed on the increase of profi, I mean revenue of their "foundation", offering a Firefox "Premium":

https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/0...ming-this-fall
      Chrome is free, the ads are free, but you can't use uBlock anymore, yes Google is a charity, we know.

Comment

Out of curiosity, how one ends having to have hundreds of tabs open?
        I have a bookmark folder of web comics. There's 80+ of them. I open them by right-clicking the folder and choosing "Open All In Tabs".

Note that for this to work well you need to have changed network.http.max-connections to somewhere between 32 and 60. I don't know who thought 900 was a reasonable default value but if you try to load 80 tabs at once with 900 connections all of them time out, fail, and nothing works at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

I have an average of 100 tabs open for session. Mostly pages that you discover or find, you are going to read them when you will have time...
          Anything against bookmarking? (genuine question, not trolling)

Comment

Developing WebGL on Linux with Firefox is completely impossible. I prefer the development tools, but after a several days of trying to get Firefox to efficiently run I had to move to Chrome. Mozilla really made their Linux users second-class. Chrome on Linux runs butter smooth, Firefox on Mac or Windows is smooth, it's just Linux where Mozilla has allowed its atrocious performance issues to remain - and it's been 5 years! My development machine has a Core i7 processor, a couple generations old, but top-of-the-line from that gen. I have Vega64 graphics. I can't run agario smoothly. I don't know how performance is that blatantly bottlenecked has gone unfixed.

People keep comparing Chrome/Blink to IE6, but the one thing nobody can say is that Google hasn't sat back to rest on their laurels. It's a damn fine engine. I used to be in the camp saying Gecko is necessary for competition but, well, it's not competing.

The really, really sad part? When my project goes online I'll need to sniff out Firefox on Linux and advise users to use literally anything else. This isn't me developing against Chrome and treating the Fox as an afterthought; this is me developing against Firefox, catering to it, and being utterly unable to justify wasting any more time on it. I agree 100% that developers shouldn't just target Chrome, but at the same time Firefox needs to hold up its end.

Comment

Is there a way to test responsivnes? How much it takes for a tab to be created, for a menu to be drawn, when a button is clicked until the animation of this button is started?

Comment

I wonder how much of the performance difference can be attributed to the JavaScript engines.
                Is there a build of Firefox with V8?

Comment

Anything against bookmarking? (genuine question, not trolling)
                  If I put something in the bookmarks simply I forget about them, however bookmarking a website make sense for a relative small amount of time, I use FF as main browser since the 2009 and 90% of my bookmarks are now useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                    Chrome is free, the ads are free, but you can't use uBlock anymore, yes Google is a charity, we know.
                    Have you experienced it or you just repeated something you read and believed somewhere, maybe because it confirms some hatred towards Google? Because right now, the ads are being blocked.

And just to add, I don't hate Mozilla, just want to increase awareness that they are not the privacy saviors that some believe they are. The money they are collecting is by selling your data, just like any other internet company. And don't take my word for it, read their TOS and privacy terms and you will find they share data with third parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

If I put something in the bookmarks simply I forget about them, however bookmarking a website make sense for a relative small amount of time, I use FF as main browser since the 2009 and 90% of my bookmarks are now useless.
                      I know what you mean. My bookmark bar have a temporary folder and it is full :-)

But since my machines only have between 4 to 8 gigs of RAM, I try to maintain my browsers lean.

Comment

Working...
                      X