Chrome 75 vs. Firefox 67 / 68 Beta Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
    What about the video streams acceleration?
    Such a test would require more effort, as it will depend on driver support. Also, what about blacklisted GPUs? It might require forcing acceleration, which would double the amount of benchmarks needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
      It is cool to benchmark, but are this differences really noticeable by an average user?
      This will depend on the use scenario. I assume people who play games in their browser will stick with chromium for that use, and it might be beneficial for heavy JavaScript applications.

When it comes to general browsing, it feels like Firefox works much better on low-end hardware, even though it seems to be more of a resource hog nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
        And here is me that I really dont care about speeds and I just need a browser for its functionality.

Really I wonder who the heck invented TABS on TOP and has become a trend for all browsers!!!
        You waste a lot of secs going from the top of page up to the top of TABS to close a tab or switch to another tab and for someone who spends a lot of time on the NET with 100's of tabs this is a total waste of time and this trend TABS ON TOP must be stopped!

I am just so pissed off that I cant find a modern browser that cares about functionality instead of ULTRA SPEEDS and horrible layout designs.

I am now using Waterfox because of addons and tabs below web link and below bookmarks.
        I love tabs on top. It saves huge amounts of pixels for me, and I think not only browsers but all programs should do the same. Laptops will be thankful more than even.

Comment

Michael, could you add Chromium in the future to such benchmarks? I wonder how much of the extra speed is due to the special sauce Chrome gets over the base Chromium.

Comment

This tests are about just raw power but doesn't say anything about how these browser handle properly web pages or about the UX, the compatibility with the different framework etc...
            • ARES-6 measures the execution time of JavaScript's newest features.
            It doesn't mean anything is just an abstraction of another abstraction.
            Along this small detail this is the benchmark prepared by the V8 team, can it be reliable? Of course not, it will always run faster on the V8 engines.
            • WebXPRT 3 is a browser benchmark that compares the performance of almost any web-enabled device. It contains six HTML5- and JavaScript-based scenarios created to mirror the tasks you do every day: Photo Enhancement, Organize Album Using AI, Stock Option Pricing, Encrypt Notes and OCR Scan, Sales Graphs, and Online Homework. Use WebXPRT to see exactly how well different devices handle real-world tasks.
            In my browsing experience I don't do anything of those tasks, which real-world tasks are they talking about?
            • JetStream 2 is a JavaScript and WebAssembly benchmark suite focused on the most advanced web applications. It rewards browsers that start up quickly, execute code quickly, and run smoothly. For more information, read the in-depth analysis. Bigger scores are better.
            This seems more reasonable and since the moment is built toward WebKit makes more sense if Firefox is faster rather than Chrome which is closer to Webkit.
            • Basemark® Web 3.0 is a comprehensive web browser performance benchmark that tests how well your mobile or desktop system can use modern web based applications.
            This seems another reasonable benchmark however so far I saw it makes heavily use of GPU and FF has just started exploring it, however also this benchmark is not suited to tell me about web navigation and UX.
            • CanvasMark 2013 - HTML5 Canvas 2D Rendering and JavaScript Benchmark
            This is another reasonable benchmark however it represents just a small portion of a web experience.
            • MotionMark is a web benchmark that focuses on graphics performance. It draws multiple rendering elements, each of which uses the same set of graphics primitives. An element could be an SVG node, an HTML element with CSS style, or a series of canvas operations. Slight variations among the elements avoid trivial caching optimizations by the browser. Although fairly simple, the effects were chosen to reflect techniques commonly used on the web. Tests are visually rich, being designed to stress the graphics system rather than JavaScript.
            This is another reasonable benchmark, indisputably who has the better hardware acceleration gains the competition. Anyway I guess for light or normal web pages behavior the difference is quite marginal.

Last edited by Danielsan; 10 June 2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

firefox is very inefficient in every aspect.

Comment

But, Firefox it`s the only browser that keep AD blockers extensions alive. The day that Firefox goes away will be the day that Google kills those. If Google decides it will kill extensions sooner, a lot of people will switch to Firefox. Ad blockers on a browser makes Google`s income much lower. At the moment I still enjoy my Ublock extension ( plus Youtube Vanced app on Android).
                But jumping back on topic, Firefox it`s much faster in daily usage on my i5-2467m laptop. Chrome , or Chromium it`s horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
                  I hate Firefox, because of that, and I use Vivaldi for desktop, and Brave for android.
                  Both forks of Chrome.

I use both myself, though I seem to be gravitating more and more to Brave and less Vivaldi. I didn't even install Chrome proper in my latest desktop build out.

Brave is run by the dude that got pushed out at Mozilla.

I just benched these 2 against Firefox this weekend and it was no compare. Firefox drags its feet in these tests.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
                    It is cool to benchmark, but are this differences really noticeable by an average user?
                    With FF 68 WR, they are not, I'd say for me FF provides better feel and experience currently. BUT. It shows you efficiency and where it matters is battery usage

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    Such a test would require more effort, as it will depend on driver support. Also, what about blacklisted GPUs? It might require forcing acceleration, which would double the amount of benchmarks needed.
                    Pointless, because neither of them support video acceleration under Linux, patched Chromium does on some hardware

Comment

Ooops, test device description tab and the following text show different graphic cards :
                      • Radeon RX 64 8GB (1590/800MHZ)
                      • "The same... Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics"

Comment

Working...
                      X