Chrome 75 vs. Firefox 67 / 68 Beta Linux Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
    On my debian system I never get crisp font rendering with chromium based browsers, so it's Gecko for all actual web surfing.
    Chrome is ok for netflix though.
    Try falkon or something QtWebEngine based. We have a few fixes to linux font rending on top of Chromium, that we haven't managed to upsteam, but it should make it follow system defaults better. In particular they fix:
    1. Respect medium hinting settings instead of falling down to slight hinting
    2. Follow font settings on web fonts instead of Chrome defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Try falkon or something QtWebEngine based. We have a few fixes to linux font rending on top of Chromium, that we haven't managed to upsteam, but it should make it follow system defaults better. In particular they fix:
      1. Respect medium hinting settings instead of falling down to slight hinting
      2. Follow font settings on web fonts instead of Chrome defaults.
      I've been working on getting better feature coverage from Epiphany/WebKit, like modern Javascript JIT, html5 features and accelerated rendering. I've just got WebGL2 working with Wayland/EGL/OpenGL3/4 as opposed to GLES, which means more acceleration features are available. It has much better memory overhead than Chrome/Chromium or Firefox and accelerated zero-copy GStreamer video support. It should be getting even better now the WPE renderer is getting utilised with the GTK WebKit target from webkit-gtk-2.25.

Currently at 451 on HTML5test.com
      Last edited by s_j_newbury; 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM. Reason: html5test.com result

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

I've been working on getting better feature coverage from Epiphany/WebKit, like modern Javascript JIT, html5 features and accelerated rendering. I've just got WebGL2 working with Wayland/EGL/OpenGL3/4 as opposed to GLES, which means more acceleration features are available. It has much better memory overhead than Chrome/Chromium or Firefox and accelerated zero-copy GStreamer video support. It should be getting even better now the WPE renderer is getting utilised with the GTK WebKit target from webkit-gtk-2.25.

Currently at 451 on HTML5test.com
        I'd like that, the opensource browsers are ok from time to time (Midori's layout may be my fave).

Usability and UI tend to be a larger issue here, especially with Epiphany. Where as I understand it needs to follow Gnome guidelines (and I generally like those) I need to be able to use it in a similar way to Firefox. And the addition of addons like Adblock and KeePass would also be.. necessary to be my daily driver.

Comment

I used to have Epiphany as main browser for a very long time, I stopped when it switched to GTKWebKit because I was unable to reproduce the same behavior as the GECKO one and also because there was a degradation on the performance, something that you notice in old hardware. However I think it is extremely important having other floss browsers along Firefox. Epiphany has very nice features I hope it will improve substantially and in order to use it again as my main browser on Linux.

Comment

Chrome will not eliminate adblocks for advertising, as we said without knowing. Google will change the API to make Chrome safer from malicious extensions, at least that's the intention. We'll see .... but Google's aren't stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              Chrome will not eliminate adblocks for advertising, as we said without knowing. Google will change the API to make Chrome safer from malicious extensions, at least that's the intention. We'll see .... but Google's aren't stupid.
              Yes yes case closed, Google is not evil yay

https://security.googleblog.com/2019...ivacy-for.html

It's the "for security" angle...nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post

Yes yes case closed, Google is not evil yay

https://security.googleblog.com/2019...ivacy-for.html

It's the "for security" angle...nice...
                Not only is it not bad, but it is also the best browser around right now, especially on Gnu / Linux.
                Security is something different from privacy, however if you want to protect your privacy from Google, use another browser. The world is beautiful because it is varied and my priorities may be different from yours, the important thing is to be aware of it. I'm not a Chrome fanatic, I use it because I find it much more comfortable and productive than others, the day I find something better I will change.
                Firefox has made a lot of progress, after wasting time making many mistakes, but at the moment I find it still inconvenient to use. For example, for me the translator is fundamental, I finally found an extension for FF to translate the pages quite quickly (Page Translator), but sometimes it gives me problems, while with Chrome and its automatic translator everything is much faster. Then there are some sites where viewing videos in FF is problematic.
                I work with the PC and the browser, I can't afford to waste too much time with problems like this.
                So it is good to remind users of privacy problems with Chrome, without making it a holy browser war.

Comment

Could you do some tests with CPU usage or energy usage? I'm more interested in saving battery life than an increase in javascript performance

Comment

Working...
                  X