No announcement yet.

Chrome 75 vs. Firefox 67 / 68 Beta Linux Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never used Chrome on Linux, just on Win and Mac, however on Win and Mac I don't see any relevant difference but just the fact that sites in .asp and .net work better in Firefox while page made with the feet with awful and useless javascript work better only on Chrome.

On Linux I have just used chromium that while has always been lesser CPU hungry than FF on the contrary it has always been a memory hog. For a very long time my main browser was Epiphany/Gecko; but everything has changed from Firefox Quantum. Which is way more better than Chromium and the pre-quantum FF.

Now my consideration is if you put all the javascript on the bottom of the page just to not overload the DOM and CCSOM construction, from this point of view quantum FF is better in this task rather than Chrome, which is just a tough guy with javascript. In fact my feeling is that Firefox Quantum is faster to load the page than Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

I know what you mean. My bookmark bar have a temporary folder and it is full :-)

But since my machines only have between 4 to 8 gigs of RAM, I try to maintain my browsers lean.
      Technically since the reboot of FF the inactive tabs should be inactives until you don't active them.
      Last edited by Danielsan; 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

> Firefox + NoScript
        ​​immediately faster browser by a huge margin

Problem solveded

Comment

Cool benchmarks. But since I can't notice a real-world difference in performance between the two browsers, I definitely won't stop using Firefox despite the fact that it loses in every test.

Comment

Have you experienced it or you just repeated something you read and believed somewhere, maybe because it confirms some hatred towards Google? Because right now, the ads are being blocked.
            ad-blocking is still working at the moment but may not in the future in Chrome, hopefully this gets reverted in chromium
            In a response to negative feedback, Google shared that Chrome's current ad blocking capabilities for extensions will soon be restricted to enterprise users.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              > Firefox + NoScript
              ​​immediately faster browser by a huge margin

Problem solveded
              Icecat should be enough debloated however no one has never packaged it for any distros but the gNews Sense and GuixSD...

Comment

Have you experienced it or you just repeated something you read and believed somewhere, maybe because it confirms some hatred towards Google? Because right now, the ads are being blocked.
                Of course not, I'm just spitting whatever the Google devs are doing in their code, and whatever they blog, also whatever adblocking extensions devs said, since they are in the middle of this.

Until a version that limits the API to 30000 actually comes out, all these blogs confirm the Google devs hatred towards Google or what are you saying?

So should I trust the Google devs that coded the limits or you ? I don't follow...

Maybe this was lost in translation or something, but it's not Google haters or Firefox fanbois or anyone else that do this, but Google themselves, they code, they talk...etc.

The money they are collecting is by selling your data, just like
                What data exactly? You mean that disabling the Telemetry thing does not disable the Telemetry, any link confirming these accusations?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
                  Scratch that, FF is still better in handling hundreds of tabs.
                  Yeah, those benchmarks tell the exact opposite of my experience....hence i would assume, google optimizes for those benchmarks, not for real life user experience ^^

With fresh browsers Chrome might be faster - but in that environment, those differences are not really noticable.

But try to use chrome with many tabs and FF becomes WAY faster. And with Panorama Tab Groups and some other Addons that are not availiable for chrome, FF takes the lead for me by a huge margin - and that is before we take privacy into account

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post

Vivaldi also allows you to place tabs on top, bottom, left or right as you wish out of the box.

I moved from FF to Waterfox when FF gutted a lot of their old addons, including Tabkit, which allowed me to move the tabs to the bottom of the browser. Unfortunately Tabkit, because it was killed by FF, never finished updating for Multiprocess, so I ended up moving to Vivaldi to avoid being forced to keep my tabs at the top of the browser.
                    I was going to say the same thing, and you can create tab stack, and view them at the same time if you want. Also, there is Web Panel to be able to view another page at the left side while doing something else.

Comment

Monoculture is bad. Netscape, I mean Firefox.. I will continue to back you.. and you can keep those nasty google ads from my eyeballs too. win win. As it was with Microsoft your continued existence ensures no company will ever control the web. Resist we much this new Goliath and.. bring it Google.

"But resist we much. We must and we will much about that be committed." - Al Sharpton
                      Last edited by k1e0x; 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X