No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.17 Development Heating Up As 5.16 Freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ngraham : I just tested the 5.16 notification changes and it looks great, but one think that may be missing, or that I simply don't understand how to do easily, is to hide the notification widget on the system bar when there is no notification.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      ngraham : I just tested the 5.16 notification changes and it looks great, but one think that may be missing, or that I simply don't understand how to do easily, is to hide the notification widget on the system bar when there is no notification.
      It auto-hides when the history is empty. If you want it to always be hidden regardless of whether or not there's anything in the history, right-click on the System Tray's arrow, go to Configure System Tray, and make it always hidden on the Entries page.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

It auto-hides when the history is empty. If you want it to always be hidden regardless of whether or not there's anything in the history, right-click on the System Tray's arrow, go to Configure System Tray, and make it always hidden on the Entries page.
        Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it does not work that way here.
        My history is empty and I still see it: https://i.imgur.com/r6OBmrq.png
        With 5 items in the history: https://i.imgur.com/nwVHEkW.png

Oooooooh my bad, I never realized there's 2 version of this.
        There's the widget and the one in the systray.
        The one in the systray works as you suggested, but it's really tiny, is there anyway to increase its size so I can easily read the number in there? It does not really matter I guess though.

Thank you and sorry about the stupid question!

Comment

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it does not work that way here.
          My history is empty and I still see it: https://i.imgur.com/r6OBmrq.png
          With 5 items in the history: https://i.imgur.com/nwVHEkW.png
          This is expected if you add it manually as a separate widget. The systray version doesn't do this. There's not much reason to put the widget version right where the systray version would be.

Oooooooh my bad, I never realized there's 2 version of this.
          There's the widget and the one in the systray.
          The one in the systray works as you suggested, but it's really tiny, is there anyway to increase its size so I can easily read the number in there? It does not really matter I guess though.
          Thank you and sorry about the stupid question!
          Hmm, not sure there is, sorry. Feel free to file a bug asking for it to be a bit bigger though!

Comment

What bugs me most about KDE is how the whole system gets inresponsiv when you have heavy file IO. Copy something to an external hard drive and watch your system become slow.
            Also, if something like for instance a iso file is already loaded in to memory, copying said file to an external drive will show insanely high data transfer speeds (i.e. 5 GB in 10 seconds) but then stalls until the IO operation is completed. Obviously the file is not completely written yet by the kernel, but the desktop widget thinks otherwise. The actual file transfer can be monitored by ksysguard, but not the absolute progress. I always make sure to "sync && sync" as root once everything is written to the external drive, just to be 100% sure.

A novice user might think the file was copied after 10 seconds and unplug the drive (without gracefully unmounting it, because novice users never do that).

But before anybody gets the wrong idea, I love KDE. I have been using it for about 15 years now. I have used other DEs, but never felt "home" with others. So keep up the good work! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sad Robot View Post
              What bugs me most about KDE is how the whole system gets inresponsiv when you have heavy file IO. Copy something to an external hard drive and watch your system become slow.
              Also, if something like for instance a iso file is already loaded in to memory, copying said file to an external drive will show insanely high data transfer speeds (i.e. 5 GB in 10 seconds) but then stalls until the IO operation is completed. Obviously the file is not completely written yet by the kernel, but the desktop widget thinks otherwise. The actual file transfer can be monitored by ksysguard, but not the absolute progress. I always make sure to "sync && sync" as root once everything is written to the external drive, just to be 100% sure.
              I wish the Linux kernel had 2 clearly separated I/O schedulers: one for disk I/O, and another for system files (/dev, /sys, /proc, etc.). This way intensive disk ops won't clog the desktop up.

Originally posted by Sad Robot View Post
              A novice user might think the file was copied after 10 seconds and unplug the drive (without gracefully unmounting it, because novice users never do that).
              That's because Linux uses a write cache by default, which may improve performance in some cases, but causes this very issue. It should enable the write cache for internal hard drives/SSD's, and disable it for removable media.

Comment

Working...
              X