Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.17 Development Heating Up As 5.16 Freezes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.17 Development Heating Up As 5.16 Freezes

With KDE Plasma 5.16 soon to be released, development is heating up for KDE Plasma 5.17. As such, it's been another busy work in KDE development land...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE is the best DE for a experimented Linux user. I use KDE Neon Daily.
    But, in order to be ready for "grandma" to use, it has to have some problems to solve.
    A few problems i find confusing for the average user are:

The current wallpaper should be copied in a home folder. Setting a wallpaper from a mountable location makes it not set at login!
    The language settings, or locale! try to set a new language. Now, put English back! the result its a mixed language. now, try to remove one of them!. There is no option!
    Since Nate mentioned that they are working at the samba share , I won`t mention it! but, i will mention a quick one! When trying to access a samba share with password (or no password in Windows), it should try first user and password "nobody". If i share something in my local win network, Linux requires those password. Again, confusing for "grandma".
    Another one, it`s when i right click something. with the touchpad The menu shows too close and moving the finger a bit causes the first action to register.(e.g. konsole).

These are not complaints, but, we are talking a lot about the year of Linux desktop. I think KDE has a chance here in a couple of years. It`s the easiest to use. But let`s make it accesible for "grandma" too!

Keep up the good work devs!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      With KDE Plasma 5.17, the Breeze theme is continuing to evolve and the most recent change is disabling by default the KWin-generated window borders.
      What?!?!?!?! KDE adopting CSD?!

Please, KDE team, revert this change, and don't give up resisting the GNOME force!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Please, KDE team, revert this change, and don't give up resisting the GNOME force!
        Window borders. The tittle bar is still there, it's still server side decoration as always was and always will be, it's just the left, right and bottom border that will be more subtle. No need to panic, nothing really change.

Comment

Originally posted by RGB-es View Post

Window borders. The tittle bar is still there, it's still server side decoration as always was and always will be, it's just the left, right and bottom border that will be more subtle. No need to panic, nothing really change.
          Raka555 has a sigh of relief ...

Comment

tildearrow has a sigh of relief ...

erm, phew

Comment

When I tried KDE again a little while ago, turning window borders off was the first thing I did. It just looked kinda weir.

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
                KDE is the best DE for a experimented Linux user. I use KDE Neon Daily.
                But, in order to be ready for "grandma" to use, it has to have some problems to solve.
                A few problems i find confusing for the average user are:

The current wallpaper should be copied in a home folder. Setting a wallpaper from a mountable location makes it not set at login!
                Yep, we have this planned for Plasma 5.17: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=408223

The language settings, or locale! try to set a new language. Now, put English back! the result its a mixed language. now, try to remove one of them!. There is no option!
                Indeed, it's a mess. It's being actively worked on though.

Since Nate mentioned that they are working at the samba share , I won`t mention it! but, i will mention a quick one! When trying to access a samba share with password (or no password in Windows), it should try first user and password "nobody". If i share something in my local win network, Linux requires those password. Again, confusing for "grandma".
                I'm not familiar with this. Is it a Windows 10 convention? Can you file a bug at bugs.kde.org against kio-extras | Samba? Thanks!

Another one, it`s when i right click something. with the touchpad The menu shows too close and moving the finger a bit causes the first action to register.(e.g. konsole).
                Very interesting observation. We're currently gathering ideas for the Breeze theme evolution, which includes the context menu appearance. Could you find a bug about this on bugs.kde.org against Breeze | QStyle?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

As others have already pointed out, this has nothing to do with CSDs. It's just the KWIn-generated borders on the left, right, and bottom of the window. The change is arguably a beneficial new feature too since now themes can specify whether or not they want the border drawn by default, which makes sense for themes that actually have visually distinct borders that are meant to stand out from the window content. Breeze does not, which is why they're off now for that theme.

Comment

Kinda weird how now we're using a behavior that saves up on screen real-estate, when 2K+ monitors have become increasingly prevalent and it doesn't matter so much anymore. Whatever, not a big problem to me either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X