Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.3 Beta Is Up For Testing

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.3 Beta Is Up For Testing

Following last month's LibreOffice 6.3 alpha milestone, the first beta images of LibreOffice 6.3 are now up for testing...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ffice-6.3-Beta

I built the 6.3 dev release a few days ago on Debian Buster. One thing I noticed was that start-up time was reduced by more than half. I'm not sure if that's a built-in advantage of 6.3, or if it was a function of building it on my system.

It has the best compatibility with MS Word .docx files of any LO version I've seen so far. Not quite as good as OnlyOffice, but very close, and LibreOffice has far more tools than OnlyOffice. I'd advise keeping both LO and OnlyOffice on your system if you have to deal with a lot of documents that others create in MS Office.

I did have one unexpected crash, so as usual save very very often if you are going to use the Beta. Or just avoid it altogether if you can't tolerate the risk of losing data.

Comment

Tagged PDF: Nice! Important for accessibility

Comment

LibreOffice impress has been flickering and stuttering on Linux for 10 years. Maybe it's fixed now....

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          It has the best compatibility with MS Word .docx files of any LO version I've seen so far. Not quite as good as OnlyOffice, but very close, and LibreOffice has far more tools than OnlyOffice. I'd advise keeping both LO and OnlyOffice on your system if you have to deal with a lot of documents that others create in MS Office.
          Actually, compatibility is pretty varied.
          I had once compared LibreOffice, OnlyOffice, and WPS Office, and I found that OnlyOffice had the best compatibility with MS Office files that only used Latin characters, however with RTL languages, LibreOffice managed the best.

Comment

I would like to see it ship with some beautiful LibreOffice Impress templates to easily create beautiful presentations.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              LibreOffice impress has been flickering and stuttering on Linux for 10 years. Maybe it's fixed now....
              Can you clarify what you mean? What is the bug id for this?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I would like to see it ship with some beautiful LibreOffice Impress templates to easily create beautiful presentations.
                This seems like a good idea for Google Summer of Code, Outreachy, etc. for someone who is more into graphics art and presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Feel free to contribute.

Comment

Working...
                  X