Plymouth Adds New Firmware Upgrade Mode For Better Fwupd Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Adds New Firmware Upgrade Mode For Better Fwupd Integration

Phoronix: Plymouth Adds New Firmware Upgrade Mode For Better Fwupd Integration

Plymouth, the Linux graphical boot splash screen system/interface used by most Linux distributions out there, now has a "firmware upgrade mode" for offering a tighter level of integration with Fwupd when performing system BIOS/firmware updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The question is: Why?

If fwupd cant stand on its own, then something has gone terribly wrong.

The second and more important question: Does this mean, that fwupd is now a mandatory package requirement for plymouth ? I ask this because right now I removed all the fwupd cruft and all its rats tail of dependency that I (and I mean myself here) dont want on my light Fedora system.

Comment

Of course fwupd can work standalone. Plymouth integration is, as always, optional.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        The question is: Why?

The second and more important question: Does this mean, that fwupd is now a mandatory package requirement for plymouth ? I ask this because right now I removed all the fwupd cruft and all its rats tail of dependency that I (and I mean myself here) dont want on my light Fedora system.
        The question is why not?
        For too long the Linux ecosystem lacked of focus to improve a better experience notably on desktop environment. Having a better support from vendors themselves is a great welcome. Of course users can still choose to not use fwupd.

Similar concept was from the old One Laptop per Child XO series with its OpenFirmware.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

The question is why not?
          For too long the Linux ecosystem lacked of focus to improve a better experience notably on desktop environment. Having a better support from vendors themselves is a great welcome. Of course users can still choose to not use fwupd.

Similar concept was from the old One Laptop per Child XO series with its OpenFirmware.
          Because it will make linux-based operating systems more accessible to the masses and will threaten the feeling of exclusivity and superiority some people have due to using said OSes.

Comment

Unix principles, y'know. The boot spash application does the right boot splash while the firmware upgrade application does firmware upgrades.

Does this mean, that fwupd is now a mandatory package requirement for plymouth ?
            I'm not sure how bad you must be at reading plain english to think this is what was discussed.

Comment

It would be really nice if the other parts of the boot process could be localized too.
              I remmember that Windows 7 displays the "Windows is starting" the error page with "Start Windows normally" in the user preferred language.
              It would be really nice if Linux could do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                It would be really nice if the other parts of the boot process could be localized too.
                I remmember that Windows 7 displays the "Windows is starting" the error page with "Start Windows normally" in the user preferred language.
                It would be really nice if Linux could do it too.
                Fun fact: Windows will keep showing that text in the language it was installed in, regardless of what the current language is.

Comment

For too long the Linux ecosystem lacked of focus to improve a better experience notably on desktop environment. Having a better support from vendors themselves is a great welcome.
                  Right! But thats what fwupd, it's services and the package and rats tails that depends on it is for.

Of course users can still choose to not use fwupd.
                  This isn't the problem case. The Question I had was whether plymouth has a hard dependency (or mandatory requirement) of fwupd now. E.g. once you enter "dnf instlall plymouth*" that it ends up enforcing the installation of fwupd as well. Right now this is not the case and I would like to see plymouth not depend on a mandatory installation of fwupd packages (and whatever it installs).

And of course users can not easily choose to not depend on fwupd if other packages are enforced to install it as some sort of dependency or hard requirement.

The times where "someone" choose anything are over I think.

Comment

Right! But thats what fwupd, it's services and the package and rats tails that depends on it is for.
                    If you don't want that but still want the ability to update firmware through that system and repositories, you can install fwupdate instead, that is just a dumb commandline tool and not a system service made for integration with GNOME and other DEs.
                    see this https://packages.debian.org/stretch/fwupdate
                    vs this https://packages.debian.org/stretch/fwupd

This isn't the problem case. The Question I had was whether plymouth has a hard dependency
                    The problem is in your reading comprehension, this was not stated anywhere, not even implied.

Comment

Working...
                    X