Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Inching Closer To Better Wayland Multi-Monitor Performance

Phoronix: GNOME Inching Closer To Better Wayland Multi-Monitor Performance

One of my personal biggest issues with using the GNOME Shell on Wayland has been the sluggish multi-monitor performance with driving dual 4K displays on my main workstation. Fortunately, GNOME is moving closer to resolving the fundamental issue and that could happen possibly with this current GNOME 3.34 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those fixes from Daniel are low-hanging fruits? Or are bugs that needed some exploratory debugging?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      Those fixes from Daniel are low-hanging fruits? Or are bugs that needed some exploratory debugging?
      AFAIK most of these are the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is not doable when a canonical developer steps in trying to solve gnome3 problems. IBM software is badly designed and implemented to prevent the success of the Linux desktop.
        https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft
        you keep banging that drum mate...

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Performance work are always very dependant on profiling and analysing.
          Fixes can sometimes be a onliner (and a long comment on why it should not be changed back to what it locked like previously) and sometimes be a fundamental flaw that requires an architectural redesign but almost always that's preceded with a lot of invisible work to find out what and where the actual problem is. Code that's so obviously bad that you can fix performance problems by just looking at it is quite rare in ongoing projects as that usually have been fixed or never makes it past review in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

you keep banging that drum mate...
            ...and you keep responding to him.

But there seems to be some truth to that Gnome shell is poorly designed. Can remember them slandering Enlightenment for having a scene graph, which is now planned to finally appear in GTK with 3.90.
            Thats almost Java-Swing-level which for a long time did create a Direct3D Context for every widget, crashing poor drivers (*cough*ATI*cough*).

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              ...and you keep responding to him.

But there seems to be some truth to that Gnome shell is poorly designed. Can remember them slandering Enlightenment for having a scene graph, which is now planned to finally appear in GTK with 3.90.
              Thats almost Java-Swing-level which for a long time did create a Direct3D Context for every widget, crashing poor drivers (*cough*ATI*cough*).
              Gotta have some fun here and there!

As with any highly complex software project things that are not in the critical path get missed.

I hope they get this sorted soon. As a plasma user I want the competition to keep up 😁

Comment

What is your theory to why software sucks
                FTFY

Because humans. Simple as that.

Comment

What is your theory to why IBM software sucks as this blog post proves?
                  Because they are designing software for a round earth when in reality it is flat. Also your gaming distribution is so bad that people think Linux is not viable on the desktop.

Comment

What is your theory to why IBM software sucks as this blog post proves?
                    You say that as though everyone else agrees IBM software sucks...

Comment

Working...
                    X