No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 4.9 Released With A Few New & Updated Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine-staging 4.9 also breaks Starcraft Remastered and Starcraft II-both crash on launch. Bug filed here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47265

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Out of curiosity, do you oc/uv your card? I'm just wondering if using a workaround like "set state 0 to state 1's values and using that starting point to try to figure out what the real low mhz you need for >73hz should be" could work. Might even get lucky and can increase the mhz w/o the mv. Just saying I would be that surprised if slightly ocing the low end "fixed" it.
      The issue is that changing VRAM clock must happen precisely between the display's refreshes, which somehow doesn't work with higher refreshrates & Polaris Linux. Putting additional voltage on top or reducing clocks won't help here.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        The issue is that changing VRAM clock must happen precisely between the display's refreshes, which somehow doesn't work with higher refreshrates & Polaris Linux. Putting additional voltage on top or reducing clocks won't help here.
        Gotcha, but I was thinking the opposite: higher clocks on the lower states with possibly lower voltage on the top (the latter is my thermal "fix").

The logic being that if you force it to a higher state and it works, perhaps the lowest state, 300mhz for me, should be higher since it might not be fast enough. Setting the lowest state to the next state up (and so on and so forth) should, in theory, eventually get you to a point where you have dynamic clocking working >73hz...but if it's related to just state changes, I suppose no amount of extra oomph on the low end would fix that. Dammit, it's a better suggestion than install my custom version of Debian with this kernel from here, Mesa from there, with a specific desktop because every other desktop is shit.

I have an old 1400x900 monitor in my closet that goes to 75hz. I just don't have a cable or adapter to use it with my 580 so I'm just listing the stuff I'd try if I could replicate your problem.

Comment

skeevy420 The flicker issue is a known bug of Polaris Linux driver with refreshrates >73Hz and dynamic VRAM clocking. Forcing VRAM into fixed states makes the flicker go away, but of course either wastes power or kills performance. Nothing else can be done, except waiting on AMD for a fix (they tried to several times, but it didn't work out). I prefer using 73Hz and still having fully dynamic clocking.
          Indeed and the situation is very very sad! For reference, the mesa bugtracker is full of this with reports (and suboptimal workarounds) for devices running with monitors at 144hz/75hz. I've added my experience in bug 93826 on 2018-11-28 and so far nothing has improved for me:

With some progress happening in bug 102646, but the last activity is also already 14 days old..

That is the only thing that makes me hestitate to buy an AMD GPU next, things are improving all over the place for vulkan, game compatibility and stuff, but such a major issue is still not resolved and months have passed. I'm sad.

Comment

Good that Nikon's Capture NX-D works again in 4.9, did not so in 4.8 but in 4.7 yes.

Comment

I don't use non-staging because it usually lacks important input fixes for games. But no, 4.8 staging was not affected. Well, staging 4.8 had broken esync, so of course I didn't use that one either and instead some later commit...
              I mean that is what wine-staging is for, to test new patches. Now would be a good time to do a regression test https://wiki.winehq.org/Regression_Testing , just follow the instructions, no programming knowledge needed and you help them a lot getting the game you like work again with the next version.

Comment

Working...
              X