No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Makes Another Step Towards X11-Less, Starting XWayland On-Demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Makes Another Step Towards X11-Less, Starting XWayland On-Demand

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Makes Another Step Towards X11-Less, Starting XWayland On-Demand

GNOME 3.34 feature development continues at full-speed with a lot of interesting activity this cycle particularly on the Mutter front. On top of the performance/lag/stuttering improvements, today Mutter saw the merging of the "X11 excision" preparation patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this make it impossible (or much more unlikely) that xwayland can crash the whole Wayland compositor?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Does this make it impossible (or much more unlikely) that xwayland can crash the whole Wayland compositor?
      If done right it should make it impossible for xwayland to crash the wholeMutter wayland compositor. Time will tell if it done without bugs. In fact having xwayland start on demard it should allow xwayland to crash and wayland native applications to keep running as if nothing has happened and be able to restart the X11 applications latter.

Comment

Good news for uid313

Comment

Nice.

Now I'll only have to launch the buggy bloat that is X on the rare occasion I actually need to use it, rather than it running all the time and leaving me open to all of its issues and vulnerabilities for no good reason.

I can finally stop using software written by the useless IBM employees that develop X.
          Last edited by Slithery; 24 May 2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post
            I can finally stop using software written by the useless IBM employees that develop X.
            Nobody tell this dude that Wayland is written by the same developers as X.org

Comment

IBM employees
              Did d*b**nx**e hack your account or something?
              Last edited by tildearrow; 24 May 2019, 05:02 PM. Reason: censor!

Comment

Nice.

Now I'll only have to launch the buggy bloat that is X on the rare occasion I actually need to use it, rather than it running all the time and leaving me open to all of its issues and vulnerabilities for no good reason.

LoL. Hey is that you, d*b**nx**e

Comment

What's the status of this with KDE/Kwin? Does it manage Wayland without needing to startup xwayland yet? or does it plan to?

Does the DM matter? I think SDDM still is X only no Wayland support atm(not sure when that'll happen).

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know SDDM can handle Wayland sessions, I was referring to it running itself, which afaik is X based, and the Github readme for the project seems to suggest that as any configuration cites X.org?

You new around here? That's pretty badly informed :\
                  Last edited by polarathene; 24 May 2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

This is a great thing.
                    The more modularized and less infiltrated libraries and systems are the better.

Comment

Working...
                    X