GNOME 3.34's Mutter Gets Important Fix To Avoid Stuttering / Frame Skips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.34's Mutter Gets Important Fix To Avoid Stuttering / Frame Skips

Phoronix: GNOME 3.34's Mutter Gets Important Fix To Avoid Stuttering / Frame Skips

In addition to GNOME's Mutter compositor / window manager seeing an important fix recently lowering the output lag under X11 so it matches GNOME's Wayland performance, another important Mutter fix also landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> He's also evaluating whether this change can be back-ported in the Ubuntu packages for Mutter in current Ubuntu releases.

I'm already trying out a patched version of mutter for Pop!_OS 19.04.
    Last edited by mmstick; 23 May 2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks Daniel! You're doing some pretty good stuff for GNOME even though it seems to take ages for some of it to be merged.

Comment

Is there news regarding hardware cursor running with full/real refreshrate on Gnome Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You do not do much work with gnome3 when you need to follow missing features and bug fixes. IBM tortures workers and users. It is from hell to develop and use gnome3. All of this intentionally to prevent the success of the Linux desktop. Bravo IBM-Microsoft partnership, well done.
          wow...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            You do not do much work with gnome3 when you need to follow missing features and bug fixes.
            If I had to keep up with missing features and bugs of other desktops I'd probably need another lifetime.

Comment

My biggest gripe with GNOME is that the animation for dash is an ugly folding one, instead of a modern bottom-up sliding one. Also that the duration of the animation is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                aufkrawall you can keep track of all the MRs on this site.
                https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/merge_requests
                I was hoping I wouldn't have to dig.

Well, it's this one (still open):
                This means the two fallback throttling methods in clutter-master-clock can be removed, which both reduces lines of code and resolves a couple of bugs. Closes:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  My biggest gripe with GNOME is that the animation for dash is an ugly folding one, instead of a modern bottom-up sliding one. Also that the duration of the animation is too long.
                  Guess that explains why the very first option in Gnome Tweaks disables animations.

I used the Impatience extension for a while, but nowadays I just disable animations myself.
                  Gnome Tweaks Animation setting

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Guess that explains why the very first option in Gnome Tweaks disables animations.

I used the Impatience extension for a while, but nowadays I just disable animations myself.
                    Gnome Tweaks Animation setting
                    I like the animations, just not the GNOME Shell "dash" animation.

Comment

Working...
                    X