Firefox 67.0 Released With Better Performance, Switches To Dav1d AV1 Decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentoo added a patch to use system libav:

Already applied on my arch pkg (firefox-kde-opensuse).

Comment

Will this also fix the issue (on Linux) that the file dialogs don't open anymore?

Comment

I'm the author of the tab suspension mechanism mentioned in the notes and I can add that's also a Windows-only feature for now. The reason is not that we don't like Linux or something - in fact I do far more work under Linux than under Windows - but we're always shorthanded and we need to prioritize work depending on the impact it has. In my case shipping this for Windows means preventing out-of-memory crashes for up to ~100k users per week. The same feature on Linux would affect at most a few hundred users per week: first because there's not that many Linux users and second because Linux is much better than Windows at avoiding out-of-memory conditions. I'll probably get the Linux support done by the next release just as eventually WebRender and HW acceleration will be enabled everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          or put your money where your mouth is.
          How much money is needed exactly? They currently have $360 to make it work: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/...pport-on-linux

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            I can't understand why FF hardware acceleration on Linux is not working yet, the driver guys are incredibly responsive to address bugs in the open source drivers, most games have a much smaller user base than FF yet people report bugs and those get fixed in days/weeks.

What is the issue with Mozilla and FF, they find a bug and say to themselves: "this is not working" and then forgetting about it?

Bizarre.
            Whether or not it's true of Mozilla, I've seen this happen with other graphics developers. I think they aren't used to working with open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post
              I'm the author of the tab suspension mechanism mentioned in the notes and I can add that's also a Windows-only feature for now. The reason is not that we don't like Linux or something - in fact I do far more work under Linux than under Windows - but we're always shorthanded and we need to prioritize work depending on the impact it has. In my case shipping this for Windows means preventing out-of-memory crashes for up to ~100k users per week. The same feature on Linux would affect at most a few hundred users per week: first because there's not that many Linux users and second because Linux is much better than Windows at avoiding out-of-memory conditions. I'll probably get the Linux support done by the next release just as eventually WebRender and HW acceleration will be enabled everywhere.
              I imagine many of us also have more RAM in general

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                I imagine many of us also have more RAM in general
                Not necessarily. One of the big difference in memory management between Windows and Linux is that Windows does not allow overcomitting memory that ends up not being used. This means that on Windows we often have out-of-memory crashes where the user still has significant physical memory that has not been touched but has been committed and thus Windows considers it unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  I can't understand why FF hardware acceleration on Linux is not working yet, the driver guys are incredibly responsive to address bugs in the open source drivers, most games have a much smaller user base than FF yet people report bugs and those get fixed in days/weeks.
                  Has anybody created a bug report about firefox GPU blacklisting and submitted it to the AMD/Intel developers so that they can actually fix it?

Comment

There is no hardware to enable for AV1 yet. How did this turn into a hardware acceleration thread?

I just wonder when Firefox will enable AV1 by default. It was rumored that it was going to be in 67, it was even mentioned in the beta release, but then, they left it out from the big announcement.

Comment

Working...
                    X