Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 67.0 Released With Better Performance, Switches To Dav1d AV1 Decoder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
    That's the usual double -Fuck You- to Linux users from Mozilla: "What, you need hardware acceleration for video decoding and page rendering on Linux? LOL, one day maybe but you are irrelevant ^^ ; Our priority is Windows and the GPU without open drivers "

    At this point, I hope they loose whatever funding from Google they still have so that only volunteers (or let's dream, people funded with RedHat money) are left coding. Maybe then Free Software users would be back as a priority target.
    Volunteers work on what they want to work on. Paid employees work on what they're paid to work on. All you're doing is bitching and that just makes people ignore you, or react with hostility to whatever you have to say. If you want a feature to get integrated to any project find a volunteer willing to implement and maintain it, do it yourself, or put your money where your mouth is.

    Mozilla is concentrating on where the majority of their user base is, which is on Microsoft Windows and Windows users mostly use either Intel or Nvidia GPU hardware because that's what the OEMs put in desktop and laptop (Optimus) products. It's mostly system builders that have AMD hardware because it's like pulling teeth to get not-low-end non-server hardware with AMD hardware from the OEMs. You can thank Intel's anti-competitive tactics for that along with several years worth of under-performing AMD CPUs.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

      Perhaps a donation to Mozilla to get hardware acceleration in Linux is in store.

      Mozilla will always go where the money leads. Just ask them what it will take, I am sure they will tell you.
      Mozilla said it needs standardized GPU acceleration and they're waiting for it to be implemented in systemd.

      Comment


      • #13
        the ability to block known cryptominers/fingerprinters
        Does this mean Add-ons such as NoMiner are obsolete?
        NoMiner https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...k-coin-miners/
        CryptoMining Blocker https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ining-blocker/
        CoinEater https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/coineater/

        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ing&sort=users

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
          That's the usual double -Fuck You- to Linux users from Mozilla: "What, you need hardware acceleration for video decoding and page rendering on Linux? LOL, one day maybe but you are irrelevant ^^ ; Our priority is Windows and the GPU without open drivers "

          At this point, I hope they loose whatever funding from Google they still have so that only volunteers (or let's dream, people funded with RedHat money) are left coding. Maybe then Free Software users would be back as a priority target.
          Why so mad? They are small, they need to prioritize by market share.
          Plus, you can enable web render in the preferences right now if you want. Hint: it doesn't make any difference.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
            Our priority is Windows and the GPU without open drivers
            Windows should be a priority for them because most of their users use Windows (https://data.firefox.com/dashboard/hardware), so it is a normal thing.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

              Ah Mozilla, always focusing on the wrong issues:

              https://www.wsj.com/articles/mozilla...own-1396554132
              If you still want to work with Brendan Eich,, use Brave.

              https://brave.com

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                Perhaps a donation to Mozilla to get hardware acceleration in Linux is in store.
                https://www.bountysource.com/issues/...pport-on-linux

                Comment


                • #18
                  The lowest hanging fruit, which is codec independent, is scaling of the output. What's the status of that?

                  I can tell that this is pretty significant, at least on my homemade ARM laptop, which has no acceleration whatsoever: it drops to 4 FPS once I fullscreen any video regardless of resolution.
                  Last edited by andreano; 21 May 2019, 04:41 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    I'm waiting for hardware accelerated video encoding / decoding support now.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      I'm waiting for hardware accelerated video encoding / decoding support now.
                      Honestly I think the only option is to use chromium with the vaapi patch. I know Fedora ships it by default now.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X