Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.14 Sees Its Long-Awaited Pre-Release

Phoronix: Xfce 4.14 Sees Its Long-Awaited Pre-Release

The GTK3-ported Xfce 4.14 might see its long-awaited official release in the near future. In preparing for a hopeful August debut, the Xfce 4.14 pre-release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

debianxfce, got anything to say?

Comment

Vblank & colord support: Yes, please, and thank you! Those two things are why I ended up leaving XFCE to my lower end older laptop(s) and switched to KDE/Plasma on my newer hardware.

Comment

*ah hem* If only XFCE were as good as KDE... this xfce dinosaur is moving so slowly, it's acting like a tar pit for all the users that don't know any better!

(Please Note: This is a solid tongue-in-cheek shit post)

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          Vblank: Yes, please, and thank you! That is why I ended up leaving XFCE to my lower end older laptop(s) and switched to KDE/Plasma on my newer hardware.
          High latency

Hereby I introduce xfwm4-lowlatency, which consists of the following:
          Add the following in src/compositor.c after line 1649 for lower latency:
          Code:
             glFinish();
          (does not work on Intel...)
          Last edited by tildearrow; 20 May 2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Sad to see many horrid GNOME concepts like switches and popovers being adopted. Off we go to LXQt.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

High latency

Add the following in src/compositor.c after line 1649 for lower latency:
              Code:
              glFinish();
              (does not work on Intel...)
              It honestly feels smoother than most desktops even if there is latency. Kwin-lowlatency helps make plasma feel similar, but i don't think it's quite as smooth as XFCE. (saying this as a plasma fan) ... That said, it could just be a sugar pill, as XFCE was one of the first Linux desktops i viewed as a favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                do not even have a freely configurable whisker menu.
                Genuine question, what can XFCE do here that KDE cannot?

Comment

KDE is buggy, never ready, slow, made by wannabee windows programmers and do not even have a freely configurable whisker menu.
                  Oh Hai - There's a bite!
                  xfce is bad because it doen't even have a configurable Application Launcher -or- a configurable latte dock (see what I did there with app names?)

and, to be fair, as an xfce user you would have to be quite accustomed to "never ready" software by now :P

That is what gnome3 and kde do, makes you mad and posting shit.
                  I'll add xfce to that list as well

Comment

As you see the kde menu is tree like, not freely configurable, no category hovering with the mouse.
                    The "favorites" down the left are configurable same as XFCE? the only difference i see is XFCE shows the full title rather than the icon.

Do you have a screenshot of your setup?

Comment

Working...
                    X