Xfce 4.14 Sees Its Long-Awaited Pre-Release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Grrrrrrr None!!! The best was the ZX Spectrum!!!

Actually, IT STILL IS!!!! Grrrr

( i just stopped here on my way to the basement, where "Treasure Island Dizzy" is loading )

LOLOL
    I think I was too young for that particular discussion. But the Amstrad CPC 464 dumps from a great height on your colour-clash monstrosity.

Can you get all thirty coins on Treasure Island Dizzy? I could only ever get 29, such a frustrating game, especially with the one life. I wonder how many joysticks were broken from the bit where you need to have the snorkle equipped to walk into the next screen.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

I think I was too young for that particular discussion. But the Amstrad CPC 464 dumps from a great height on your colour-clash monstrosity.
      What monstrosity??!?!?! That's not a monstrosity!!! That's Art!!! LOLOL

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Can you get all thirty coins on Treasure Island Dizzy? I could only ever get 29, such a frustrating game, especially with the one life. I wonder how many joysticks were broken from the bit where you need to have the snorkle equipped to walk into the next screen.
      I always played from the keyboard (Z,X,Space,Enter), so... only the keys suffered ahahaha.

Oh and... i finished ALL the Dizzy's from 1 - 7 (3.5 included), plus the MegaDrive's Fantastic Dizzy - that was, actually, just a compilation from Dizzy's 1-6 all combined but in a great, beautiful and full of color game - ( Yes, out of jokes i truly believe megadrive brought the golden age of home gaming).

the most difficult Dizzy is Spellbound (aka Dizzy V), but Treasure Island follows closely because of that "Only-One-Life" thing they stuck us with.

I hold Dizzy as one of the greatest games ever

Comment

I am pretty happy with this pre-release I look forward for the Debian defreeze so I can start using the new components... What I really miss in XFCE is a true dockbar, an expose' effect and the double panel in Thunar... For the former two I prepared some concepts to the devs...

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11901

Since the moment they ported the screensaver from Mate I wonder if they can port the mate dock plugins on Xfce as well. Back to the Gnome2 era, there was a plugin that permitted to use the Gnome Panel Applets on the Xfce4 panel, but I don't know why you can't use it with Mate...

Comment

On a serious note, and I am not an expert, but think I know enough to chime in. With GTK3, and especially the later versions of GTK3, and since GTK3 is now in a stable release, only bug fixes, the themes are driving by a CSS variant. No more theme engines, there seemed to be a crap load of them for GTK2. My one gripe with a lot of Linux desktops is that they can be so darn ugly (yes, subjective, I know.) That seems to come done to design decisions for the defaults. Anyway, with GTK3 maybe we can get some nice design/theme options out there. And with good icons sets... I know a lot of GTK themes try and do the GTK3 with the CSS variant, then try to mimic for GTK2 with theme engines, etc. I say let GTK2 go. Just build nice GTK3 themes, let any GTK2 apps run as they are, they will still work. But just my take.

So what am I getting at? We need solid core desktops that can then be made to look nice! And I don't care what desktop or desktops those are.

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post
            I have never used XFCE on high DPI screen (which I assume it doesn’t do right now) so does anyone know if this release will make it usable on high DPI screen? Thanks!
            Um... I'm using it on a HiDpi screen and on multiple low DPI screens. I had this hiDpi screen for 3 years.

HiDpi mostly works just excelent with Xfce. Except for one thing.

Window decorations (window borders, buttons: close, minimize, maximize) are pixel-based. Therefore, you have to pick decorations designed for hiDpi, which limits your choice of decorations.

A more advanced option is to simply edit one of the existing decorations (resize the images to fit your DPI). You can do it in Gimp. The decorations are for Xfwm4 window compositor, so they are located in /usr/share/themes/themeName/xfwm4, as image files (usually .png or .xpm format). When you do it, you can also change the color of decorations to whatever you like, and their size, width, height, add glow effects, etc... You can also copy the decorations to a home directory to enable them only for a specific user.

Another options is to use Compiz as the window compositor instead of Xfwm4. But I can't go into detailed instructions. Or you can use both Xfwm4 and Compiz, and switch between them depending on what you are doing (it's just 2 clicks to switch). I switch to Compiz from time to time just to impress people.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
              Are you mad or something? It seems your comment is the most problematic. Can I ask you to shut up with this propaganda?
              Umm... I think you are mistaken. You have probably confused me with somebody else. Recheck my username, there are plenty of people here with similar usernames.

Comment

retardXfce, your comment about Swedes is really disgusting.

Please do not post such comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  Please add "xfcedebian" and " fedoragnome" to your list.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    What I really miss in XFCE is a true dockbar
                    Plank is a great fit for xfce and compared to other dock bars is lightweight and does what it needs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                      I don't know about that. If you show me a Raspberry Pi running KDE, I'll believe it.
                      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      The guy concludes the article with words:
                      "Don't try this at home kids. Unless you are feeling adventurous. It's not clear that everything in KDE on Pi land works well yet."

Comment

Working...
                      X