• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    debianxfce, got anything to say?
    Do not feed the troll, even in jest.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      KDE is buggy, never ready, slow, made by wannabee windows programmers and do not even have a freely configurable whisker menu.

That is what gnome3 and kde do, makes you mad and posting shit.
      XFeces is abandonware, never ready, always buggy and slow,. Only desktop to ever crash on me is XFceces.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post

Genuine answer:
        KDE cannot start in 2 seconds.
        KDE cannot use as little memory as Xfce.
        KDE cannot be used on a Raspbery Pi, or any other low-powered computer.
        KDE cannot work without a GPU accelerator.

(Edit: ah, you were talking about Whisker menu... not Xfce in general. But never mind)
        XFCE uses more RAM than KDE (especially after being ported to the bloated piece of crap called GTK3) try and see for yourself. This is true from my experience and from others (google xfce vs kde comparison). More ram usage with 5% of features and looking like debianxfce(shit)

If you want minimalism try xmonad or dwm, or openbox if tiling is not your thing, instead of extremly bloated, slow and buggy piece of crap called Xfeces.
        Last edited by retardxfce; 20 May 2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Startup finished in 647ms (kernel) + 461ms (userspace) = 1.109s
          graphical.target reached after 461ms in userspace

You're talking about time from login to DE though right? I haven't timed for over a year but, back then it seems that was around 5 second mark, I know there's been improvements in this area since, but probably right that it doesn't hit 2 seconds.

Is that an important metric for you when choosing a DE? Do you boot so frequently that a few extra seconds is a dealbreaker?

You're probably right? I don't run XFCE so I can't comment, I know that with KDE it's around the 450MB mark. There's also lighter-weight DEs than XFCE if this is a major priority for you, but for the same reasons a user might prefer KDE, I'd wager you'd not want to give up whatever benefits you enjoy from XFCE to use a DE that requires less memory?

For a typical user, the difference between the two is minimal when actual usage of apps is taken into account. I've got 32GB RAM and can use the bulk of it without much trouble for the software I use, I've done so with 128GB RAM too(heavy data processing). <500MB is a drop in the bucket at that point. On a 2GB laptop, I've got a functioning laptop with plenty of memory to spare for light/casual use, saving 100-200MB would be nice, but switching to XFCE would degrade the experience elsewhere(just like it would for you as an XFCE user to downgrade your DE for less memory usage).

Really? That'd really depend on what you consider low power I guess? You might have a better argument with cost or hardware resources.

ODROID-N2 runs on ~5W, can be powered by a powerbank over USB, costs 2-3x(depending on model) of the RPi though. Can run KDE.

Just like all the other points, it could be pointed out there will be hardware that runs something lighter than XFCE, where XFCE fails to be relevant. Does that make you want to use that or stick with XFCE?

Sure it can, it works in VMs where it doesn't have proper GPU access and as such the compositor disables certain eyecandy. If you have more to say about this though with some examples, that'd be good to know?

---

When it comes down to it though, use whatever works best for your needs. If the above reasons you cite make XFCE that much better of a DE for you, great! Use XFCE But it's a bit silly to bash KDE on them when you could do equally the same against XFCE with a DE that outperforms it in all those areas too, but you definitely won't be switching from XFCE because of that.

You have a bias to XFCE and that's cool, no need to try come up with reasons to defend your choice.

Last edited by polarathene; 20 May 2019, 01:04 AM.

Comment

KDE and gnome3 users are jealous for Xfce users because Xfce users have a freely configurable, stable,light, easy to use and fast desktop. That is why kde users have the loudest voice in this thread. It is painful to use kde and gnome 3 desktops.
            Xfce users are jealous for Puppy Linux users because Puppy Linux users have a freely configurable, stable, light, easy to use and fast desktop. That is why Xfce users have the loudest voice in this thread. It is painful to use Xfce desktops.

Xfce is so heavy on memory usage compared to Puppy Linux, why would anyone want that bloat.

Xfce is so buggy, you can't even get the page to load when listing all bugs:

This pointing fingers game sure is easy. Enjoy your DE, I'll enjoy mine.

Comment

What are you talking about tabarnak! Use what you want to use. That's it! I'm using XFCE currently, but I will not create 34 accounts to yell it to eveybody. And i'm also not happy that Debian stable will use a 4 years old desktop for two more years.

Comment

You have never used the xfce desktop, you can make panels freely and add what ever to them.
                I have actually, in anger for more than a year, (1.12 release even too) - but that was many years ago now. I have since moved on. I found Unity limiting, XFCE primitive (not sure if there has been a paper cuts project for it, but it really does need it), gnome2 was alright, gnome3 is (still) jarring, cinnamon was good but plasma seems to be the flavour of the moment for me.

but hey, you gotta give em all a whirl and use them in anger to form a proper opinion.

Comment

Speaking of trolls, take a look of your all messages, no sense at all. An example: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...95#post1094195
                  Stop..please, just stop !
                  I absolutely love xfce it has been my "goto" desktop since I first installed it when xubuntu had its first release.
                  I have since used xfce on almost all distros I've tried...to almost all my friends who want come over to linux I introduce them to xfce first.
                  Most of them are still there and loving and other have moved on and liked other DEs.
                  But I never act the way you do with your trolling and frankly, a very embarrassing way. You're making a fool out of your self and us who actually love xfce and want others to see it for the wonderful DE it is. You're not helping to "spread the word" you're making people hate instead.

SO PLEASE JUST STOP !!!

Comment

Genuine answer:
                    Is there any way we can "preload" KDE at boot time to make this statement false? I've tried cat'ting all KDE-required libs and assets to /dev/null to have them in the read cache but takes like 50 seconds to do so (but after that KDE boots in just 10 seconds). Then I've tried sorting the cat list by physical position in the disk, but it only brought a minor improvement.
                    Then I tried packing the asset/lib set to a tar, which is extracted to the root filesystem at boot (takes only 3-4 seconds), hoping that any overwritten files also go into the read cache, but sadly this is not the case. May somebody explain this?

Meaningful only in very old/low-end computers. Most of this memory usage can be attributed to Akonadi.

OK, I agree..................

Really? KWin has XRender and no-compositor modes which allow it to work without a graphics card.

Comment

Finally, now I hope they can start working for Wayland support. Xfce is the best dektop all around, apart from its look and the fact that it's slowly updated.

Yes, it's not nice-looking and they're VERY slow to update it, but after 2 years (and counting) of GNOME 3 on my home PC I don't care anymore about eyecandies and updates, if you've a bad experience.

I measure quality of software/hardware with a simple rule: ppm, profanities per minute, the higher the count, the worse is whatever I'm using.

Comment

Working...
                      X