LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha Was Tagged This Week, Stable Expected In August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha Was Tagged This Week, Stable Expected In August

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha Was Tagged This Week, Stable Expected In August

Tagged at the start of the week was LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha 1 as the first step towards the next major release of this cross-platform, open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really like that LibreOffice is free, open source and available for Linux.

That said, I have used Microsoft Office on Windows 10 and it is really good!
    With PowerPoint you can make really professional presentations that are beautiful and have animations and transitions. You can pick among many different animations and transitions, and transition in bullet lists.
    It can read the text in your slide and suggest slide themes based on the headers.

Comment

If LibreOffice got their automatic updater working on Windows, that would make my life easier for the Windows systems I support.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is there a reason you had to bold that?

With PowerPoint you can make really professional presentations that are beautiful and have animations and transitions.
      What is your point? Are you saying that you can't do that stuff with LibreOffice Impress?

Comment

As someone who's a bit OCD, I just have to point out that DanL has 2222 posts and that phoronix is at 49034 which is pretty close to 65,535...the forum software is pretty ancient

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          He is a Microsoft fanboy.

What is your point? Are you saying that you can't do that stuff with LibreOffice Impress?
          Probably. Maybe the effects in LO are too 2000-ish when compared to MS Office.

Comment

No.

I don't know. I haven't used LibreOffice so much, and I used LibreOffice Calc the most.
            But my experience with LibreOffice is that it can do what an office suite should do. But when I used Microsoft Office, it was fun! It felt easy to use, and it felt polished!

I have very limited experience with both LibreOffice and Microsoft Office, but in my limited experience, my impression is that Microsoft Office is much more polished and it is easier to make things that professional with it.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            He is a Microsoft fanboy.
            I always tried to stay away from religion, dogma and fanboyism.
            But due to the actions and policies of Microsoft, I really used to dislike them.

I've flirted a bit with Linux, and I really liked that it was free software and open source.
            Microsoft really pushed me away from themselves and Windows, and kind of pushed me into Linux because I wanted to get away from them. I really disliked them. So I started dual-booting Ubuntu, which got more polished by the release, and gradually I begin to spend more time in Linux than Ubuntu and was then a full-time Linux user and didn't even have a copy of Windows.

Then Satya Nadella took over Microsoft from Steve Ballmer and gradually Microsoft turned into a different company. Much different from its past. Microsoft joined the Open Invention Network, became the world's biggest open source contributor, became a major contributor to the Linux kernel, joined the Linux Foundation, etc.
            They made themselves hard to dislike. It's hard not to like Microsoft. Now I do like Microsoft.
            I have experience in multiple programming language and software platforms, and through my job I became a C# / .NET developer, and I have to say, I really do like it. It is my preferred language, and my preferred platform. I love it.
            Then Microsoft released the .NET Core, open source, cross-platform, for Linux! I loved it!

Comment

Excel on Windows is a load of crap. It's much worse than Excel 2013. Importing from csv requires gymnastics or using the internal search function, the cell selection tries to guess too much for its own good.
              Reaching printing menu also requires gymnastics.

Word is also similarly a load of crap. Same issues with printing as above. Also I don't need that piece of shit to snap to word or line end ends when I am selecting text, I'm not on a mobile device. It routinely ends up selecting shit I don't want it to.

Plus the usual idiocy with formatting that requires hours of shenanigans to coerce it to make a good-looking doc.

With PowerPoint you can make really professional presentations that are beautiful and have animations and transitions.
              You can do the same on Libreoffice's Impress.

Then Satya Nadella took over Microsoft from Steve Ballmer and gradually Microsoft turned into a different company. Much different from its past.
              They still make shit software.

Win10 is an ongoing shitshow (and I'm not even getting into the telemetry), Office is worse than its older versions while still not fixing the decade-old main issues.

You are blinded by your own tunnel vision, just because you like C#.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 20 May 2019, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                You can do the same on Libreoffice's Impress.
                I don't know if LibreOffice Impress have modern templates, modern vector graphics, does antialiasing and smooth transitions or if it looks like 1995 presentations.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                They still make shit software.

Win10 is an ongoing shitshow (and I'm not even getting into the telemetry), Office is worse than its older versions while still not fixing the decade-old main issues.

You are blinded by your own tunnel vision, just because you like C#.
                I like many of their software, and use Visual Studio Code on Linux, it is nice. They have many fine frameworks such as .NET Core, ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core, etc.

When Windows 8 I strongly disliked it, then when Windows 10 came I found it much better, but it still didn't feel like it were there, then after a few updates to Windows 10 it has gradually improved and is nowadays really nice.

Comment

So is Libre Office 6.2 now it has a similar interface while still providing a classic mode.

With PowerPoint you can make really professional presentations that are beautiful and have animations and transitions. You can pick among many different animations and transitions, and transition in bullet lists.
                  So can Impress. It is a the person behind the tools making the presentation looking professional.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    So can Impress. It is a the person behind the tools making the presentation looking professional.
                    No, it is more than the person behind the tools.
                    It is also the tools!

Does the tools provide animations and transitions? Are the animations smooth? Are they anti-aliased?
                    Is it 1995-style animations or modern ones?
                    Are the templates available beautiful or ugly?

If tools didn't matter, we could all go back to using COBOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X