LibreOffice 6.3 Alpha Was Tagged This Week, Stable Expected In August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    If LibreOffice got their automatic updater working on Windows, that would make my life easier for the Windows systems I support.

Is there a reason you had to bold that?

What is your point? Are you saying that you can't do that stuff with LibreOffice Impress?
    Isn't automatic update patented or something stupid like that?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, it is more than the person behind the tools.
      It is also the tools!

Does the tools provide animations and transitions? Are the animations smooth? Are they anti-aliased?
      Is it 1995-style animations or modern ones?
      Are the templates available beautiful or ugly?

If tools didn't matter, we could all go back to using COBOL.
      Are you paid by Microsoft? Have you even used LibreOffice? Curious to know why you waste so much time on a predominantly Linux forum

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Are you paid by Microsoft? Have you even used LibreOffice? Curious to know why you waste so much time on a predominantly Linux forum
        No, I am not.
        I like Linux, and I appreciate that LibreOffice exists. But you have to be honest and give praise where praise is due, and admit shortcomings when there are those.
        It is unfortunate that Linux have so many fanatic fanboys who vigorously defend and refuse that Linux has any shortcomings and is quick to attack Microsoft with frivolous unfounded statements.

Comment

I like Linux, and I appreciate that LibreOffice exists.
          You didn't answer the question about whether you've actually used Libreoffice (recently) or you just assumed that Impress is a cheap Powerpoint clone and is "1995 style." From the way you're talking and dodging the question, my guess is that you haven't used it.

Comment

I really like that LibreOffice is free, open source and available for Linux.

That said, I have used Microsoft Office on Windows 10 and it is really good!
            With PowerPoint you can make really professional presentations that are beautiful and have animations and transitions. You can pick among many different animations and transitions, and transition in bullet lists.
            It can read the text in your slide and suggest slide themes based on the headers.
            Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Is there a reason you had to bold that?

What is your point? Are you saying that you can't do that stuff with LibreOffice Impress?
            He probably did not "need" to bold the name...
            But as far as Impress goes, I'll have to agree with him.
            I'm not familiar with the MS version, but the presentation component of LOO sucks so hard I'm amazed they don't have every contributor dedicated to it.

Seriously.
            The fact that interface is utterly counter-intuitive... Well, it's not that big a deal, you can just learn it (memorizing shortcuts is always better anyways).
            The fact that some very easy things such as assigning different styles to different parts of a slide while reusing already configured styles, is actually *frigging hard* to do is already a major show-stopper.
            But the fact that the software is buggy and instable and hell and as such can end up randomly crashing with no way of restoring data (in spite of built-in "safety copy") as soon as you start having a few dozen slides (while properly built using templates) ? It's a major, MS-Office 95 like middle finger shoved up the ass of all users.

Honestly, imo they should simply rewrite all of it, or otherwise plain drop it.
            As it is, you cannot (AFAIK, I may have missed something) reuse styles defined in an ODT and you generally have no real style management to structure the inside of a slide.
            You have no way either to use the structure of an odt to set up a structure of slides.
            In fact, you generally suffer from all flaws of a half-baked presentation tool, and you don't even benefit from the fact it's part of an office suite (except for having the Draw tools).

It is such a nightmare to use for more than basic things that it compelled me to search and try to learn web-based presentation tools, because while there is no interface at all (less user friendly), at least you can improve efficiency over time as you learn how to "code" it.

----
            Sorry for the rant. ^^
            I really love open source, and from the little I know about MS Office I prefer the Writer over Word a hundred times... But Impress is just a mess. And I sadly have no coding skills whatsoever that I could use to help them. So ranting (possibly brainstorming architecture ideas) is overall the most I can do (apart from giving a few bucks obviously ^^).

Comment

When you're stuck using whatever the marketing team demands it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Word is also similarly a load of crap. Same issues with printing as above. Also I don't need that piece of shit to snap to word or line end ends when I am selecting text, I'm not on a mobile device. It routinely ends up selecting shit I don't want it to.
                File-Options-Advanced - deselect checkbox for "When selecting, automatically select entire word".

Printing for both Word and Excel - File-Print.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Excel 2013. Importing from csv requires gymnastics or using the internal search function, the cell selection tries to guess too much for its own good.
                  This. LibreOffice is much better for working with CSVs. The import is better. It is smart about large numbers which are not really candidates for conversion to scientific notation (such as barcodes). It handles encoding better. LO has made huge leaps in performance too.
                  And it does regular expressions, while still supporting Noah's Ark wildcard mode for compatibility with Excel.

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
                    Seriously.
                    The fact that interface is utterly counter-intuitive... Well, it's not that big a deal, you can just learn it (memorizing shortcuts is always better anyways).
                    The fact that some very easy things such as assigning different styles to different parts of a slide while reusing already configured styles, is actually *frigging hard* to do is already a major show-stopper.
                    But the fact that the software is buggy and instable and hell and as such can end up randomly crashing with no way of restoring data (in spite of built-in "safety copy") as soon as you start having a few dozen slides (while properly built using templates) ? It's a major, MS-Office 95 like middle finger shoved up the ass of all users.
                    View-Styles, or F11 will get you to your style dialog.
                    Also, right-click and Duplicate Slide option will copy slide and all styles.
                    Not sure your problem with random crashing. I haven't seen that lack of stability since the early LibeOffice 5.x days. Update to LibreOffice 6.1.6, the "conservative" version - you shouldn't have this problem. Also, save often, and save successive versions - very important for any LO or MS Office document. Crashes do happen.

Comment

No, it is more than the person behind the tools.
                      It is also the tools!

Does the tools provide animations and transitions? Are the animations smooth? Are they anti-aliased?
                      Is it 1995-style animations or modern ones?

If tools didn't matter, we could all go back to using COBOL.
                      So say we all.

Comment

Working...
                      X