KDE Plasma 5.16 Beta Released With Many Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
    KDE has been in development for 30 years and still more bloated and with less features than XFCE, the bestest, smoothest and fasted linux desktop enviroment. XFCE is complete, it does not need further development only maintenance.
    wow, you really must be borred debianxfce ., an another of your sad accounts. xfcemint
    Last edited by Anvil; 16 May 2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Yes. I plan to start as well, now that Plasma 5.16 has resolved my last blocker: Support for Libinput touchpad click method.
      I'm still waiting on the window focus issues on AMD hardware to be fixed (can't resize XWayland windows sometimes, and they loose focus so that i can't click on anything or they just start acting randomly)... On my Intel laptop I'm also still waiting for the Wayland fractional scaling from Edmunson to get some sort of UI (kscreen-doctor refuses to enable fractional scaling for me)

Wayland is much more stable now though and really feels nice. I look forward to future refinements on it! And thanks for your awesome blog!

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Yes. I plan to start as well, now that Plasma 5.16 has resolved my last blocker: Support for Libinput touchpad click method.
        This is very good news for us users, and probably bad news for all the paper cut bugs that are about to be nuked!

Comment

Plasma on Wayland really could see some attention by the developers. Overall it is working quite well for me on most of my machines (only on a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G it refuses to start and only flickers since some months), it has some nice features (night color mode), theoretically it should be feature complete, main development target, get LTS support, but the only real gap is that bugs get addressed in an acceptable time frame. There should be a possibility to increase priority for things like NUM lock prevents you from switching windows, copy and paste does not always work as expected, drag and drop is not consistent, turn monitor off and on results in a kwin crash, incorrect rendering of sub surfaces and flickering, stability of Plasma, ...
          I do use Plasma Wayland all the time, there are several workarounds to avoid running into bugs, but especially for new users willing to switch I can understand that it feels annoying!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Fixed version: Gnome3 has been in development by 10K IBM workers for 10 years and still more bloated and with less features than XFCE developed by a small group, the best, smoothest and fasted Linux desktop environment. XFCE is complete, it does not need further development only maintenance.
            IBM only recently bought RH. This does not make everyone a IBM employee retroactively.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              KDE 5.16 also has the nVidia performance fix, yes?

(What's with the XFCE salesman in the KDE thread, cool story bro.)
              Be careful with that patch if you have a laptop with Optimus. It appears the Optimus never had the performance issue (with the NV drivers there apparantly operating more like the Intel drivers), but the patch fixing the issue on desktop causes issues on the laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                (What's with the XFCE salesman in the KDE thread, cool story bro.)
                its just one of the few trolls that inhabit phoronix who never seem to manage to grow up, probably still got his mum wiping his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Nobody remembers redhat anymore. IBM workers are IBM workers.
                  IBM only recently bought RH. This does not make everyone a IBM employee retroactively.

Comment

Baguy , R41N3R , @all other Wayland users:

I'm still on X11 (intel only) and the multi-monitor support is terrible, unfortunately (this is not meant as a rant! I fully understand how messed up everything in that regard must be and that there's effectively just one or two guys working on kwin. They have my respect!).

If the notebook restores the screen after being woken up in the docking station at work, it's more likely than not that
                    1. I have to re-setup external monitors using kscreen
                    2. always have to rearrange and resize my windows, partly located outside the desktop space.
                    Now I wonder how your experience with dynamic (notebook used stand-alone and in docking stations) multi-monitor setups is with Wayland? Would it be worth the trouble trying to switch again? Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Everyone outside of XFCE and Debian is an IBM employee including you, a paid IBM troll.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                      Plasma on Wayland really could see some attention by the developers. Overall it is working quite well for me on most of my machines (only on a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G it refuses to start and only flickers since some months), it has some nice features (night color mode), theoretically it should be feature complete, main development target, get LTS support, but the only real gap is that bugs get addressed in an acceptable time frame. There should be a possibility to increase priority for things like NUM lock prevents you from switching windows, copy and paste does not always work as expected, drag and drop is not consistent, turn monitor off and on results in a kwin crash, incorrect rendering of sub surfaces and flickering, stability of Plasma, ...
                      I do use Plasma Wayland all the time, there are several workarounds to avoid running into bugs, but especially for new users willing to switch I can understand that it feels annoying!
                      Wayland has been developed for 50 years and its still not usable. This is why nobody takes IBM software seriously. Wayland is an Illuminaty invention to kill the Linux desktop by replacing a good working software (Xorg) with very bad and buggy, low performance and super unsmooth software (Wayland). The illuminaty hates Linux and loves wayland.
                      Last edited by retardxfce; 17 May 2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X