Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.16 Rolling Out Rewritten Notification System

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 Rolling Out Rewritten Notification System

After being talked about for years, next month's release of KDE Plasma 5.16 will introduce a completely rewritten notification system for the KDE desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious when they will rewrite/remove Plasma completely.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Well they are re-writing kwin to make it run with far less latency

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE IMO is the best desktop for Linux or any OS, can't stand Gnome, for me its unusable as a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

KDE IMO is the best desktop for Linux or any OS, can't stand Gnome, for me its unusable as a desktop.
        Hum, a third-party is doing this, it's X only, and he doesn't intend to mainline it... So "they" here doesn't refer to the plasma team

Comment

I don't really have much of a problem with the notification system. In some cases, I actually like it more than what most other DEs have to offer. I just wish it were more customizable. You can't do a whole lot about the size and appearance of it, and I can't find any way to control how long notifications pop up. At the very least, all I ask is the latter feature, and the rest is good enough.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 10 May 2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

To add to what M@yeluC said, that's being done by our editor, tildearrow.

Comment

Beautiful and productive this change to the notifications, Palsma is my favorite DE, I think it's nice to have a great DE like Plasma 5 in Gnu / Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                5) I want to be able to see my average CPUs frequency as a number. There's no such plasmoid or feature for KDE 5.
                I'm sorry, why should a DE provide this feature?

Comment

I'm curious, could this be made to run in sway as a standalone notification manager? It should if it's using default Wayland protocols

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  I'm sorry, why should a DE provide this feature?
                  Yeah, if you have very specific needs, you basically have two options:
                  * Write/maintain it yourself
                  * pay someone to do so (I guess it wouldn't even be that expensive, especially if you were to find a few like-minded people to "crowdfund it: I could chime a $).

Comment

Gnome was my DE for years, until the 3.xx abortion came to be.
                    Now, i'm pretty happy with Cinnamon.
                    I really like the look and feel of KDE, and no doubt it's the most 'powerfull' DE out there.
                    It's just not for me, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X