D9VK Sees Inaugural Release For Running Direct3D 9 Games On Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D9VK Sees Inaugural Release For Running Direct3D 9 Games On Vulkan

Phoronix: D9VK Sees Inaugural Release For Running Direct3D 9 Games On Vulkan

D9VK, the project based on DXVK and providing a Direct3D 9 to Vulkan translation layer, has tagged its first release for this promising project to assist those wanting to enjoy older D3D9 Windows games via Wine/Proton...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see it get a release tag. Looks like it's time to update my custom Proton.

It also reminds me of the early AMDGPU/Radeon days and going back and forth and trying different options until that sweet-spot is found. Wait, what's this NIR and sisched stuff???

Native Wine DX9, Gallium-Nine, D9VK, Native Wine 10/11/12, DXVK, VKD3D, DXVK-AGS, Proton from Steam, Custom Proton with random combinations of aforementioned stuff, Codeweaver's Vulkan stuff...it's as fun and exhilarating as it is overwhelming and daunting to keep up with to play games.

I also remember the days we were told to go ride the short bus for even dreaming that a day like today would even occur. So glad the joke is on them.

Thanks Joshua-Ashton and all the other countless people involved in all the other projects and drivers that are making all of this possible.

Comment

It is a good thing. I just fear that really good wine support will mean game developers will target windows even more so. Good stop gap maybe but the goal is native apps.

Comment

Does anyone actually know if the effort by codeweaver is goining into the direction of implementing their own version of this or will they just use dxvk and d9vk as libraries like they do with the one for dx12? If I remember correctly there was some PR on dxvk at some point to compile it as a native lib.

Comment

Are there any friendly benchmarks that can be run in OpenGL ,DX9 & DX11 modes both natively and under windows, so we can see what's fastest -I think one of the Unigine does

Would be great to compare OpenGL, Standard wine, Nine, DX9VK & DXVK to see how good these layers are

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            It is a good thing. I just fear that really good wine support will mean game developers will target windows even more so. Good stop gap maybe but the goal is native apps.
            Developers who don't care about releasing for Linux don't care about Wine in the least either. So don't worry, Wine improvement won't affect them for worse.

Comment

In lastest times stay very busy with d9vk

In my tests normally give around 2x performance with around 50% less cpu

Last test with Pentium G3258 @ 4.1ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus

With Core i3 8350K Tri-Core @ 5.0ghz + Zalman CNPS 10x Performa+

D9VK With Core i3 8350K Tri-Core @ 5.0ghz + Zalman CNPS 10x Performa+

System Specs Used in Test

Nvidia Drivers 418.52.03 (run package from nvidia drivers homepage)

Xubuntu 18.04 x64 - Kernel 4.17.12 generic (ubuntu mainline) -

CPUFreq: Performance

CPU: Core i3 8350K Tri-Core (Coffelake 14nm) 5.0Ghz + Zalman CNPS 10x Performa+

MEMORY: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz (4x2) Mushkin (dual channel: 37.5 gb/s)

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 OC (GP107 14nm: 640 Shaders / 40 TMUS / 32 ROPS) Windforce 2GB DDR5 7000Mhz 128Bit (110Gb/s)

MAINBOARD: ASUS Z370-P

This is my playlist with around 60 titles tested for now , most long test aka stable

Stranglehold D9VK Test 48fps NVENC x64 + SoundNvidia Drivers 418.52.03 (estamos usando el paquete binario (run package) de la pagina de nvidia)***Xubuntu 18....

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                They will always target windows first, sometimes even consoles first. DXVK/Steamplay isn't going to change anything except if developers see more people using it, they may just release a native build or bundle it somehow so the store can list is as compatible with Linux (increases sales).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Nice to see it get a release tag. Looks like it's time to update my custom Proton.

It also reminds me of the early AMDGPU/Radeon days and going back and forth and trying different options until that sweet-spot is found. Wait, what's this NIR and sisched stuff???

Native Wine DX9, Gallium-Nine, D9VK, Native Wine 10/11/12, DXVK, VKD3D, DXVK-AGS, Proton from Steam, Custom Proton with random combinations of aforementioned stuff, Codeweaver's Vulkan stuff...it's as fun and exhilarating as it is overwhelming and daunting to keep up with to play games.

I also remember the days we were told to go ride the short bus for even dreaming that a day like today would even occur. So glad the joke is on them.

Thanks Joshua-Ashton and all the other countless people involved in all the other projects and drivers that are making all of this possible.
                  This sounds like your "Project Car" that sits in the shed, getting tinkered with and driven occasionally. The real fun is the tinkering!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

They will always target windows first, sometimes even consoles first. DXVK/Steamplay isn't going to change anything except if developers see more people using it, they may just release a native build or bundle it somehow so the store can list is as compatible with Linux (increases sales).
                    Maybe so, but I dream of a world without windows. (or proprietary software at all)

Comment

Working...
                    X