Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I find GNOMES workflow for me is superior
    and if you don't, Dash to Panel gives you the classical workflow that many are used to.

I used Dash to Panel and also Windows 10 and I think the former is far more consistent its its UX.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      GNOME 3: by developers, for themselves. (the user must adapt to it)
      KDE: by developers, for users. (the desktop must adapt to the user's needs)
      More like:
      Gnome 3: By web developers -> Neat UI, focus on simplicity, web technologies running the system leading to not-ideal performance.
      KDE: By game develoeprs -> Fancy code running behind the scene, fancy effects, great performance, user has to apply lots of hacks here and there to get the desired look.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
        Who cares about Gnome. My XFCE setup running on debian runs super giga smooth low latency HD very nice with Raytracing desktop without illuminaty IBM lizardman software.
        This year's been full of debianxfce parodies. First fedoragnome, and now retardxfce.
        What's next? archkde? mintmate? linuxfromscratchsway?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          FYI you can have the same workflow as GNOME on KDE, your argument is invalid.
          No you can't. You can't have Gnome's Acitvities View on KDE. I tried a lot, but I couldn't find any tool or extension that does it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            FYI you can have the same workflow as GNOME on KDE, your argument is invalid.
            You can hack something together, just like you can hack together a setup which looks kind of like Unity, but it never feels quite right and looks terrible. There are always ugly papercuts when you try to use a UI differently from how it was designed to be used out of the box. People like Gnome for the polish and attention to detail, the integrated experience. As an example, whenever I load up KDE on my laptop to check out the latest release I always notice everything seems so small and thin on the 1080p 13" screen. Acceptable on a desktop but basically unusable on a laptop without modification. Gnome works well out of the box. (Although I do change to 1.20x scaling to make it perfect)

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

More like:
              Gnome 3: By web developers -> Neat UI, focus on simplicity, web technologies running the system leading to not-ideal performance.
              KDE: By game develoeprs -> Fancy code running behind the scene, fancy effects, great performance, user has to apply lots of hacks here and there to get the desired look.
              More like:
              • GNOME 3: By Apple developers. Very well thought out UI, focus on simplicity, with performance problems and less than appetising code behind the scenes.
              • KDE: By Microsoft developers. Hyper customisable, can do pretty much anything but with an UI all over the place and many obscure features. Generally way over engineered and with a My Way Or The Highway attitude.
              • XFCE/LXDE/Lumina etc.: By UNIX developers. Brittle, inconsistent, not integrated, unsupported by third parties. Overally a huge PITA to use but beloved by its proponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                It's perfectly valid because I don't want to have to edit a DE nor should I have to edit a DE.
                It's still invalid because to switch to GNOME-like you basically right-click on the "start" menu, click "unlock widgets", then right-click again and select "alternatives", and then "application dashboard".

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  No you can't. You can't have Gnome's Acitvities View on KDE. I tried a lot, but I couldn't find any tool or extension that does it.
                  see above. You can have a list of open windows with alt+tab (can have all animations you want, from GNOME-like to Apple-like, from "window management -> task switcher") and also by setting a screen corner or side with "workspace -> screen edges" menu to trigger an apple-like "show all open windows on screen", also swipe gestures towards screen corners can be enabled.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 09 May 2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    You can hack something together, just like you can hack together a setup which looks kind of like Unity, but it never feels quite right and looks terrible.
                    This theme is all it takes. https://techniorg.com/how-to-make-kd...u-unity-guide/
                    It won't break with KDE updates too.

There are always ugly papercuts when you try to use a UI differently from how it was designed to be used out of the box.
                    KDE is designed to be configurable so this is invalid. It's when you try to change GNOME's appearence that you have issues.

People like Gnome for the polish and attention to detail, the integrated experience.
                    This is distro-dependent. If your distro sucks at configuring KDE in a sane and good-looking way it's not KDE's fault.

OpenSUSE is rocking the Windows-like interface for example.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                      Who cares about Gnome. My XFCE setup running on debian runs super giga smooth low latency HD very nice with Raytracing desktop without illuminaty IBM lizardman software.
                      Ahahhah, I wish IBM capitalizes on that and make a firewall software called Lizardman for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X