Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.32.2 Offers Up The Latest Batch Of Fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
    Who cares about Gnome. My XFCE setup running on debian runs super giga smooth low latency HD very nice with Raytracing desktop without illuminaty IBM lizardman software.
    Ahahhah, I wish IBM capitalizes on that and make a firewall software called Lizardman for example.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by moilami View Post

      Ahahhah, I wish IBM capitalizes on that and make a firewall software called Lizardman for example.
      You’ve given me an idea...

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        That is pretty much ok, but with GNOME you need to adapt to each release just this another annoying bit. I can't say any of DEs I've used are FAR superior to others, each have it own cons and pros.
        That is not true. I have been using Gnome since 3.8 days, and the changes on my workflow have been quite minimal. Of course some changes have been made on its way, but when you look back the "big picture" has been quite same all the way.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          It's still invalid because to switch to GNOME-like you basically right-click on the "start" menu, click "unlock widgets", then right-click again and select "alternatives", and then "application dashboard".
          Your invalid.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

            You are an exception, most gnome3 developers do not like it. They do it for money and/or fame. Gnome3 is like Symbian, changes all the time and development is slow and from hell. You might know what happened to Symbian.
            How can it change all the time if development is slow?

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              see above. You can have a list of open windows with alt+tab (can have all animations you want, from GNOME-like to Apple-like, from "window management -> task switcher") and also by setting a screen corner or side with "workspace -> screen edges" menu to trigger an apple-like "show all open windows on screen", also swipe gestures towards screen corners can be enabled.
              Have you used Gnome Shell yourself? The show-all-windows option in Plasma is different. In Plasma you only see the list of windows and can switch between them, but you can't manage windows by moving them around monitors or virtual desktops, it's just a fancy window switcher. In Gnome Shell the same view is used as a switcher and at the same time as a window manager where you can move windows around and you can also switch between desktops from that view. You can also search your system from that view. Many functionalities in a single view with a single keyboard shortcut.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Have you used Gnome Shell yourself? The show-all-windows option in Plasma is different. In Plasma you only see the list of windows and can switch between them, but you can't manage windows by moving them around monitors or virtual desktops, it's just a fancy window switcher. In Gnome Shell the same view is used as a switcher and at the same time as a window manager where you can move windows around and you can also switch between desktops from that view. You can also search your system from that view. Many functionalities in a single view with a single keyboard shortcut.
                Even if the design is a little dated, the activity view is one of the best features of GNOME.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                  You are an exception, most gnome3 developers do not like it. They do it for money and/or fame. Gnome3 is like Symbian, changes all the time and development is slow and from hell. You might know what happened to Symbian.
                  Maybe I'm some of exceptions..

                  However, I hated early gnome 3, until maybe gnome 3.12 or later... Some popular fucked the reputation up, when they switch to gnome 3, which was still under development, and didn't have some base desktop features.

                  I love GNOME 3 for daily use, as it's simple, elegant, and modern. However, I tend to have only IDE, browser, and few terminals (or single with tabs), opened at same time.

                  My wife loves gnome 3, because of activities screen (invoked with super key), which displays all applications at once, showing window contents, and is nicely animated. Honestly, I don't use that, because I really don't like to wait on animation while switching window.
                  ​​​​​

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    KDE is designed to be configurable so this is invalid. It's when you try to change GNOME's appearence that you have issues.
                    Oh you misunderstand, I completely agree that KDE is extremely configurable. What I'm saying is that the result of trying to imitate Unity does not feel as cohesive and pleasant to use as Unity itself. And that makes perfect sense because KDE developers are not trying to handle the same kind of workflow. Their target is a taskbar experience much like Windows. It's a Swiss Army knife approach. Sure you get the knife as well as the can opener, but neither of them can hope to compete with the dedicated tools.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X