Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTK 3.96 Released As Another Step Closer To GTK 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTK 3.96 Released As Another Step Closer To GTK 4.0

    Phoronix: GTK 3.96 Released As Another Step Closer To GTK 4.0

    It's been quite a while since last hearing anything major about the overdue GTK4 tool-kit release but now available is GTK 3.96 as a test version that positions GNOME's tool-kit closer to where they want it for GTK 4.0...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-3.96-Released

  • #2
    Good for Purism and mobile \o/

    Comment


    • #3
      I would hope for implicit animations. And implicit adherence to the GNOME HIG.
      Now it is a bit tricky to adhere to GNOME HIG by manually specifying 4px, 8px, 12px, 16px pixels everywhere.
      Also often I have to do things like widget.show() or widget.show_all().

      Comment


      • #4
        uid313 expecting gnome and GTK to adhere to any sort of standard is just asking to be disappointed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          uid313 expecting gnome and GTK to adhere to any sort of standard is just asking to be disappointed.
          What standard exactly?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Britoid View Post

            What standard exactly?
            Their own. Every point release has major API changes, and there’s never any guarantee that your setup (both users and developers) will remain stable before the next “major” release.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would hope for implicit animations. And implicit adherence to the GNOME HIG.
              Now it is a bit tricky to adhere to GNOME HIG by manually specifying 4px, 8px, 12px, 16px pixels everywhere.
              Also often I have to do things like widget.show() or widget.show_all().
              In GTK4 all widgets are visible by default.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

                Their own. Every point release has major API changes, and there’s never any guarantee that your setup (both users and developers) will remain stable before the next “major” release.
                Well, that's why you have something called Flatpak. The problem is solved.

                If you target the 18.08 runtime (which you should), you don't need to worry about the hosts gtk version breaking your app.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

                  Their own. Every point release has major API changes, and there’s never any guarantee that your setup (both users and developers) will remain stable before the next “major” release.
                  That is what major releases are for, is it not?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Only one question - can we finally see thumbnails in file chooser dialog after 15 years of wait time?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X