Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Now Correctly Shows Emojis In Titlebars, Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Now Correctly Shows Emojis In Titlebars, Wayland Fixes

KDE developers have been off to a busy start of May with continuing to get Plasma 5.16 ready for debut next month as well as ongoing improvements to the monthly KDE Frameworks 5 and work on KDE Applications 19.08...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any utility to emojis in titlebars, aside from user annoyance?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
      I also wondered whether I want emojis in my titlebar, but if a file name contains them, they should be displayed.

Comment

The emoji support in Plasma is still not very good. There needs to be an easy way to select an emoji font that's applied across all applications, and also an easy way to insert them. In Windows, for example, you can hold down the Windows key and press period to pull up a selection screen.

Comment

At first I couldn't find any good case, but now if I think about it I think I can find a good case for it.
          Let's say that we have a chat program, like it was Yahoo Messenger in its time, and you're talking to someone, but until that someone replies back you minimize it into the taskbar so you can work on something else.
          If this program, when minimized this way can update its titlebar text with the last mesage from the conversation partner, then it would be very helpful to read it it directly from the minimized window taskbar segment along with the properly rendered emoji. Or the conversition partner replies just with some emoji which you can see it directly in the taskbar windows segment without needing to click on it to unminimize it to see it.

Another case that I'm thinking about it's browsers title which normally show the site / page title taken from inside the HTML <title> tag.
          If that title contains some emoji, then it should be rendered.
          I can give you a use case where I used a moji character to avoid adding images to a website that I worked on.
          I needed to display a country flag fast, without adding a new plugin or images so I just used an emoji flag character to display the country flag that I wanted.
          It was not in the <title> tag, but it could be.

Comment

in a web browser if the name of a web page contains an emoji and that browser shows page name on the title bar

Comment

"Get off my lawn!"
              I kid. I kid. I feel the same way. I guess we're just not cool.

Comment

The microphone icon in the task bar makes a lot of sense, nice feature! And switching all audio streams to another device will be quite helpful as well (even if used seldom).

I welcome the Wayland fix and I really hope that they will do some Wayland polish for the upcoming 5.16 release. I use Plasma Wayland since a long time, but there are still enough smaller issues that need some attention like ALT + TAB not working if Num-lock is activated.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  The emoji support in Plasma is still not very good. There needs to be an easy way to select an emoji font that's applied across all applications
                  Agreed. We need a way to force a monochrome emoji font consistently across all non-HTML content (browser tabs, titlebars, etc.) to minimize annoyance.
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 05 May 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    And switching all audio streams to another device will be quite helpful as well (even if used seldom).
                    I always found such an accessible switching option a good reason to install the RealTek audio panel on Windows, having this in the Plasma tray probably saves one from messing with PA config.

Comment

Working...
                    X