No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Stop Resetting Your HiDPI Scaling When Changing Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Stop Resetting Your HiDPI Scaling When Changing Displays

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.16 Will Stop Resetting Your HiDPI Scaling When Changing Displays

KDE Plasma right now is affected by an annoying bug where connecting or disconnecting a monitor will end up resetting your HiDPI scaling factors. Fortunately, that is now fixed for Plasma 5.16.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably better would be to remember the HiDPI settings per-monitor when a combination of monitors is used at a combination of resolutions. That way when you attach your dock, things would automatically switch to the settings you used the last time you connected the dock, and when you unplugged from it you'd be back to your preferred settings for when you're not on the dock. It would be great if panels assigned to those displays also be enabled/disabled, or move to another display and be remembered with the display change as well. To some extent I can do these things with XFCE4, which is supposed to be much less advanced than KDE.

Comment

It doesn't only affect the HiDPI scaling factors. Disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor (HDMI) commonly causes a graphical glitch for me. It seems like it's not handling it well overall.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to 5.16. Lots of interesting features are coming.

Comment

anyway fractional scaling is still missing....

and there are some strange bug like windows who disappear

Comment

Worth noting is that there's also a patch that fixes issues with fullscreen toggling of some apps under Wayland (most notably SDL2 games) that wasn't mentioned in any KDE Usability & Productivity blog post.

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post

and there are some strange bug like windows who disappear
            Wayland? That's probably broken subsurfaces support - at this point probably the biggest KWin/Wayland issue left.

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

Wayland? That's probably broken subsurfaces support - at this point probably the biggest KWin/Wayland issue left.
              ya wayland just tire to see windows disapear.... but you can see it when you do alt-tab...

Comment

I've had some odd things happen when my monitor recovers from standby/power off mode. However problems haven't happened recently

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
                  KDE does have working fractal scaling support. I used it for a couple of months before switching back to Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                    KDE does have working fractal scaling support. I used it for a couple of months before switching back to Gnome.
                    KDE even has multiple different ways of doing fractional scaling. I prefer to do fractional scaling with the DPI setting (Qt will scale widget styles according to font size, and some applications especially browsers also scales images according to DPI), and only do HiDPI scaling with integers.

Comment

Working...
                    X