No announcement yet.

First There Was Compiz, Now There Is Compiz++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The vala and gobject stuff is rather neat actually. It's more about a cross-language thing than centered on C.

Comment

IMO, a developer shouldn't become a "fanboi" of a language. The language shouldn't matter at all; pick the most appropriate one for a given project.

Unfortunately, many people seem to believe that "the best choice" is always C and have become quite obsessed with it. That shouldn't happen. Perhaps it's because C is all they know and try to hide that fact.

Comment

Well, if C is all they know, then obviously it's the best choice.

Comment

Yes, but they don't come forth and say it. They just go into arguments of why C is better than C++ instead of saying "I never learned C++".

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            IMO, a developer shouldn't become a "fanboi" of a language. The language shouldn't matter at all; pick the most appropriate one for a given project.

Unfortunately, many people seem to believe that "the best choice" is always C and have become quite obsessed with it. That shouldn't happen. Perhaps it's because C is all they know and try to hide that fact.
            Given the scope of the standard libraries, learning debugging and other workflow I find that most developers couldn't and shouldn't try to be good at more than a few. I've meddled in many languages from assembler to Java, but the only one I know really well is Qt/C++, not even C++ in general and I'm still constantly learning from that.

If you're designing up a large project where you'll be staffing up people with the right skills, then the project should decide the language. If it's already a given that you'll be the one doing the work, then the wrong language is often the right choice.

I'm sure I've done things that are easier done in other languages, but what I do works well and with a lot less effort than trying to figure out a new language. Of course, if I constantly found myself doing something my language of choice isn't suited for, things would be different.

Comment

The reason why a large majority of the *nix world has a hard-on for C and dislikes C++ is because former has a stable ABI and latter doesn't.

Unless the C compiler you're using is broken, you can link any shared object compiled with whatever C compiler. Try this with C++ and you're in a world of hurt, requiring you to use practically more or less the same compiler release as the rest of your shared objects or static libraries to avoid any troubles.

That and language bindings.

Comment

This apparently isn't an 'official' version either, just by one of the prominent devs. The fact that he kept it under wraps for months doesn't make much sense either.

Comment

Originally posted by jijitus View Post
                  Just like with KDE 4, if it's not stable enough it won't conquer users. I hope a new architecture will fix all glitches and bugs that plague Compiz Fusion today.
                  I hope you meant KDE 4.0, because I have yet to find a glitch with KDE 4.1. It is very good, and, from what I have have heard, KDE 4.2 will overcome my only real concern; it will allow desktop icons.

KDE 4.x (x > 1) is really nice.

Comment

KDE 4.1.3 here. I'm not using it much though :P There are some glitches I'm not able to solve. Font rendering is messed up with DejaVu Sans:

There are sound problems with OSS4 too and kwin crashes sometimes on logout. Also, when I login, some application pop-up from nowhere even though I closed them before logging out. And Yakuake pops up even though I didn't press F12.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      KDE 4.1.3 here. I'm not using it much though :P There are some glitches I'm not able to solve. Font rendering is messed up with DejaVu Sans:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3844/kde4dv7.png
                      As I run Iceweasel, I missed that...

Comment

Working...
                      X